#51783 08/22/09 02:14 PM
R
russk Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Guys:

A friend of a neighbor apparently has some Chevy II (153 ci 4-banger) performance parts that include a front timing cover with provisions for a mechanical fuel injection pump (i.e. Hilborn or Enderle) and a second 1/2 engine speed drive location.

I was curious if the 194/230/250 "standard deck" six shares the same basic timing gear cover with the Chevy II. If so, would I be correct in assuming that this racing timing cover would potentially work with the inline six? If that's the case, I will probably want to take a look at it and see what the asking price is.

Any thoughts about the interchangeability of the timing cover would be appreciated.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
The engines use the same timing gears that I know of.

I believe if you want to run straight tooth timing gears for a 194-292 engine, you would buy them for a Iron duke engine.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
R
russk Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
That's what I thought as well. I was under the impression that the Chevy II 4-banger was pretty much a standard deck six minus two cylinders.

I have a little more info on the front cover that makes it worth looking at:

Apparently, it is a 3-drive cover (but the guy doesn't know the manufacturer - he got the parts from a relative's estate and doesn't know much about them) with provisions for a mechanical fuel injection pump (driven off the cam gear), a dry-sump pump (driven off a second 1/2 engine speed gear), and a water pump (driven off the crankshaft). Right now it's unclear if he has only the timing cover or if he also has the 3 pumps and the drive spuds.

The guy thought the parts came from a dirt track car and I'm guessing it was a midget but I don't know for sure. It will be interesting to see what else he has.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Quite a few manufacturers made "stuff" for the 153" midget engine; one of the first was Ansen Automotive in Gardena Ca. They even made an 8 port Crossflow head. Good luck

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
R
russk Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Got a chance to look at the front cover. It had the drive spuds for the two 1/2 engine speed take-offs and the coupler for the crank driven water pump. I suspect the price would've been pretty good. But there was a (hardly visible) fracture in the case and it looked like there had been some kind of a "catastrophic failure" at some point judging by some of the other parts so I decided to pass. Too bad.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Where in south Oregon?? I'm interested in the front cover even to use a pattern for casting. Was it one piece or two?

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
R
russk Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Jalopy45:

We've had some company in town so I've been away from the forum until this morning.

I called my neighbor as soon as I read your post and asked him to contact the seller (which he did) and I'm sorry to report that the entire lot of stuff was sold to another interest party shortly after I looked at the parts.

Too bad because I think the front cover probably could've been used as a set of patterns, and would also have given dimensions and locations for bolt holes and such.

While it doesn't help your cause, I did note some interesting clues: The Chevy II suff included a bellhousing, a flywheel, the front cover (of course), side cover, three [!] pistons and connecting rods, and a few other minor parts. Missing was the forth piston and rod, the head, the crank, the pan, and the cam. Given the crack I found on the front cover and the missing pieces, I'm guessing something REALLY bad happened to that particular motor.

Just as a point of interest, the lot of parts also included some flathead stuff (new pistons, cam and lifters, aluminum heads, and a dual carb intake) and other miscellaneous items that I probably should've paid more attention to.

Again, sorry the parts are gone.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 181 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave
6,788 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available