Rate Thread
#52025 09/02/09 02:33 AM
S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Hi to all,

I have had a electric wiper set up in my 54 GMC that I took out of my 54 chevy before I sold that truck. It is an aftermarket one from new port enginering.

The problem I am having is that the wiper blades will only go about half way when on. When this was in the other truck it had a full range of motion on the wind shield. I am not sure I have it in correct. do the arms for lack of a better word go in front of the motor or does the motor need to be turned around and attach the arms to the back side. Meaning is the correct way to be closest to the firewall or the dash? The way I have had them is toward the Dash. I tried turning the motor around where the tag that says new port faces toward the front/dash. The arms don't seem to attach correctly.

So my questions are first are they the same for a 54 GMC and the 54 Chevy? If so which is the correct placement for the arms that attach to the motor closer to firewall or dash. It could be that I have some bent parts causing it to be slightly off. I did try to adjust the motor, it has a bolt that can be loosened that allows the motor to be moved up or down a little, no inprovement when adjusted. The other question is are the arms for a 54-early 55 different then a 47-53 truck. If so that also could be part of the problem. I believe these are original for this 54 but not sure.

By the way I have finally set up the wiring for the 3 speed overdrive I will test drive it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help

Steve

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Sounds like the drive arm is at the wrong angle, on the box on the end of the motor. I had one slip on my Model A, did the same thing (Newport Engineering too).

If you had the motor on the wrong side of the 'arm' to the wipers it would try to turn the wipers the wrong way when you turn them on (down into the cowl \:o ).

Let us know if you find out something different, I have a Newport setup to put in the '50 I've got, but it's still in the box (or I could give you a more specific / detailed answer).

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Thanks for the response

I was able to find out that I did have the whole motor turned the wrong way. The motor goes with the new port lable facing toward the dash and I did have to bend the arms in a little along with the adjustment the wipers now have a full range on the wind sheild.

Steve

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Huh, crazy (didn't know you couls do that with the motor and not have bigger issues, lean sumthin everytday).

Thanks and congrats on the success,

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Glad you figured out the motor. It is information like this that can help us look smart. This problem would probably kicked my butt too.

250 Integrated Head / 1981 C-10 Pick up.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 438 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available