Print Thread
Rate Thread
#52178 09/09/09 05:19 PM
T
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
T
Why are brake lines bent in a circle or a spiral when they leave the master cylinder? I put power disc brakes on the front of my 50 chev coupe deluxe and am now ready to replace all of the break lines. The original master cylincer had one line leaving it to go to both sets of breaks and it was simply straight out from the back and then on to the brakes.

Is the issue vibration? The new master cylinder is bolted to the frame (under the floorboard) and the brake lines are attached to the frame. Each front wheel has a rubber hydralic line connected to the frame and the rear axle has a rubber line from the frame to the axle housing.

Now I'm seeing brake lines coiled as they leave the master cylinder. Do I need to do this?

Thanks,

Ted #4730

Ted

'50 Chevy Coupe Deluxe w/ 261
'51 Chevy 3100 P/U 5-window w/ 235
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
The reason the lines were coiled is to make up for any flex and vibration. I'm not sure if it's 100% needed with the master cylinder being bolted to the frame.

Most of the flex comes from the body and frame not being one piece and them having some independent movement.

If you do decide to coil the lines on the master cylinder just get a piece of 2 to 2 1/2" exhaust pipe, clamp it in a vice and use it as a nice little bender for perfectly round curls.

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
At times reproduced brake lines can be a little tight trying to attach to a MC so the coil beside allowing vibration flex also allows you to compress or lengthen the line for easier attachment to an MC. The negative is just that much more line to air bleed.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 45 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement