Rate Thread
#52254 09/14/09 10:20 PM
C
Cabbie Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
So Its been a long while since I got on the board. I have been helping restore a 1921 Seagrave Fire engine for the Livermore Heritage guild, which is a massive straight 6, and rebuilding my 74 Honda CB550 motorcycle (kind of an inliner).

This last weekend I picked up what is going to be the next mill in my 54 Belair. I got a running 292. Its going to get the full treatment, and a turbo. I am really excited to get this one started.

Anyway, today I was just looking over the motor, and saw a spot on the block that looked like JB Weld with rust coming out of it near the rear driver side of the block. I wire brushed the crap off, to see if there was a crack, or just leftovers from a sloppy engine compartment job that the previous owner might have left. The block looks solid, and clean, but now Im worried. I have nver heard of a block rusting to the outside before. What do you guys think? It seems that these blocks have a casting line along the bottom 1/3 of the block. Is that where the water jackets end?

Thanks,

Cabbie #52255 09/14/09 10:47 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
cabbie,
yes that is where the water jacket ends. But also check this. On a 292 block, at the rear where you describe is a water fitting that is threaded into the block. I have seen people take the fitting out and put in a plug. Is this where the rusty leak is? tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

C
Cabbie Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
Unfortunatly, the fitting is still in place and the JB weld was about an inch towards the front on the "crease" part of the block. Think I should just weld it and continue with the project?

Thanks,
Dan

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 368 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available