Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Ever since I put in the T-5 and modern rear end it started using more gas so I went to the junkyard and grabbed the jet and power valve spring from a 60 wagon with a 235/powerglide. It had a 42 jet which was a little too small and I did find another carb in the shed and it had a 51 jet and its in and seems to be working just fine,I hope I can get some more driving in before the snow flies so I can get a reading off the plugs and see if the gas consumption goes down. It has 2.79 gears and probably is a little too tall but with the T-5 from a 2.8 it gets out of its way just fine and does not do too bad and I cant use 5th much but its alot better then with the original trans and rear end.

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Running it too low in rpms is just as bad as running it too high. I would gear it to be running about 2000-2300 rpms at 65mph.

Also, make sure your speedometer is accurate. It's unlikely to be correct after a significant gear change like that.

I.I. #3174
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
The speedo is way off right now and I am not going to fix it untill I decide on the gear I want,right now with the 2.79 gears it does fine if I dont use 5th and I was wanting to put 3.25 or 3.50 gears. I am going to install a tach and a vacumn gauge to see how fast or slow the motor is spinning.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 296 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available