Rate Thread
#53053 10/27/09 11:03 PM
A
Arlyn Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
A
I installed a GMC 302 with a T-5 and 56 chevy rear end with 3:36 gears in my 53 chevy. Started it up last night and things went well. Some tweaking to do along with a non leaking radiator and exhaust. But we should be hitting the streets soon.

yuotube video of startup

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Nice jummy . . . what kinda specs on the motor?

A multi-carb intake would be a nice touch . . .

I like the way you've integrated the new school gauges into the old school dash . . .

[Linked Image from 49fastback.com]
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Even with the 3.36s you will love the way that thing will pull! 5th will just put you right in the mile eating cruse mode. Great choice.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Contributor
Contributor
Arlyn - looking (and sounding) great! Let me know when you are ready for a Nicson dual intake and a pair of Zeniths.

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Man, that is sweet! The look, the sound, everything, is just right for your 53.

DO you think the t5 will hold up to the torque from that big jimmy? As long as you're nice to it I suppose it will.

As mentioned before, a multicarb intake will top it off nicely.

-Sam.

1967 Chevy II, 2-door post.
250, 3-OTT.

1969 GMC 1/2-ton.
307, 3-OTT.
DD.
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
That installation looks really fine, and it sounds much quieter than the GMC in my '52!

Starting out with the single carburetor has surely saved you some time and aggravation in getting it up and running. On the streets, at legal speeds, you may find that you won't need any more carburetion (or noise, either) -- yet i find that many of us are likely to want many things that we don't need, if only in order to "keep up appearances."

Many of us will be interested in how that T-5 stands up to the torque of the 302, especially as you continue to modify it. With an overdrive on 3.36 gearing, this piece should be more fuel efficient than most GMC-powered vehicles are likely to be -- certainly more than mine (overdrive on a 4.88). In the gears it should still surprise some of the v-things. When they ask what's in it, you might say, "It's just an ol' six-cylinder." Their further surprise will reward all your labour.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

A
Arlyn Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
A
Ken: Imay just have to discuss that issue with you in the near future.

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, waiting a radiator repair. I will report back after a test drive.

If you want to read about the entire swap, including my mistakes, go here.

http://oldgmctrucks.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/867100273/m/912105953

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Ken, Do you know of a source for Zenith parts?
Don & Sam, I've been running an s10 T5 behind a pretty strong 270 for several years. I beat the stuffing out of it hauling heavy loads, long days of high speeds, and occasionally missing shifts. I have two complaints. #1. The shifter is sloppy and long. #2. First gear it too low. The rear end is a Dana 44 with 3.54s. I have one with 3.08s that I may try. I like the T5 but what I really want is a Saganaw 4 speed with a Borg OD.
Arlyn, You did a good thing. I am an Inliner today because I once had a "38 Ford Coupe that went through several Flatheads and an Olds. With the best of the flatteys I raced a friend who had just put a 270 GMC in his '54 Chevy. It didn't have a hood. I beat him twice but that big orange valve cover was never out of site! It was stock. Within a year I was driving a '40 Chevy pickup with a 261 with a Cam and Vett manifolds.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Tom the Beater wrote:

"I like the T5 but what I really want is a Saganaw 4 speed with a Borg OD."

Since you bring it up, that's exactly what i have in my '52 two-door: a Saginaw four-speed to which an overdrive from a three-speed has been adapted. When i bought this combination, it had the governor in place, but lacked the solenoid. i am still looking for a solenoid, since i am told that the Saginaw three-speeds from the late 1960s carried a solenoid unique to that series, and it does not interchange with the earlier Borg-Warner solenoids. i tried one from the earlier overdrive in another car i had, and it did not fit.

i'm running the 4.88 out of Leo Santucci's old race car, so i'd surely like to find a good solenoid!

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Don, I'm not sure about that but I have a Saganaw 3 speed OD, an earlier GM OD and several from Studebakers. I'll check them and post it in a new thread. Yes you need it to work. NEVER throw away an old solenoid they can be fixed. Most very easily. Tom

A
Arlyn Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
A
After getting the clutch adjustment ironed out I have been driving it with the junk radiator and no fans. Never seems to get over 160 degrees though.

302 pulls strong through all five gears, but I would agree 1st gear may be a little too low, but 2nd is too high stsrt out in.

I don't having a working tach or speedo but it pulled hard up to 80mph using the GPS and that is as fast I wanted to ge with the steering and suspension needing rebuilt.

Rebuilt radiator should be done tomorrow and I will get it installed along with the electric cooling fans.

I will probably install the radiator and fans and then put the car into storage until next spring, mostly in an effort for my wallet to recover some.

Oh, I forgot to add the 30" Smithy's with the split manifold are much quieter than I expected but sound good. Seems like they somewhat take away the 6 cylinder sound.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Arlyn, Most of us only get to hear our exhaust from the driver's seat. Let someone else drive it so you can listen. I bet it's louder than you think. Glad you've had a chance to drive it and it does so well. With the 3.55 in my Pickup I can start in 2nd. It's just slightly too high. I have another rear end with 3.08s I may try out. Beater

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
A 302 will not sound like your typical 216; it will always be deeper. You didn't say what manifolds but if they are the old Nicson style and you use 2 to 2-1/2" exhaust that high rappy sound will be absent. Definatly a great swap. JD

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 325 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available