#4456 08/03/04 11:58 PM
T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
I was wondering if somebody could
tell me if upper alt brackets on chevy
inline sixes are the same,(year,size,etc.)
except on intergrated heads.
I'm trying to find one for my 250 six.

#4457 08/04/04 12:11 AM
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
I inherited a 67 250 and a 73 250 from which I built up my present engine, 73 block with the 67 head. Both engines were complete when I got them and both upper alt arms were the same. They may have come in different lengths for other years or applications?

I had a clearance problem between the alt and the front tube of the Clifford street rod headers if I tried to use those brackets - not enough slot to get the alt away from the header tube. What I did was cut them apart and welded them back together so the longest section of each was used and that made the new fabbed arm longer than it originally was and moved the alt further out away from the header. If you are looking for a longer arm for a similar reason this might be something to think about or else a trip to the salvage yard with a tape measure might turn up a suitable arm without any fab work.

Mike G #4355
#4458 08/04/04 08:04 AM
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
texasinliner, when I was looking for brackets for a power steering pump, I discovered that even on the non-integrated head Chevys there are differences in the brackets. I swiped brackets from a van with a 6, but it located the power steering pump out a bit far (the alternator was fine).

I suspect there may only be two types. The difference was the width of the space between the two pulley grooves on the balancer. Some (like my 250) have next to no space, while others (like the van) have at least a 1/4".

Greg

1977 Chevy C10 SWB
EFI 292
SM465

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 22 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available