Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
TPost Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
I currently have a 250 in my 50 Chevy sedan. I would like to convert to a T-5. I have read alot of postings on various websites regarding T-5 conversions but I am coming away confused.
So far what I am "fairly" sure what I need is: a T-5 from a 80's S-10 due to the shifter location and mechanical speedo. Some say a T-5 from a Mustang will also work. I need a V-8 bellhousing but not sure which one due to the location of the clutch fork. I wll need the correct pressure plate to match my starter. Anything else?? Thanks, Todd

A
Contributor
Contributor
A
Todd, Did you look over at the tech tips to the left? There is quite a bit of info on this conversion.

T
TPost Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Yea I did. I guess I'm just to easy to confuse. There are just so many different variables between bellhousing, T-5's and so on I want to get the correct stuff to do it. Todd

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Todd;

You might check with "Gearhead" on that.
He has a lot of experience in that area.

Good luck.

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It's bee a few years since I put a T5 behind my 270. I used one from an S10. The only pluses for the S10 version are OD, which they all have, and shifter location. I wouldn't use the S10 again even though mine has WC innards. The stock shifter itself is a sloppy mess and needs work. In your application I'm not sure the shifter is an issue. The V8/V6 world class should bolt right up to a 250 bell housing. If you have to relocate the shifter use the links above to put an S10 tail housing on. Read all you can find before you buy parts. Do a search on the H.A.M.B. also. Beater

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 01/31/10 01:24 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
HI TODD : I have a T-5 behind a 250 , in a ' 51 Fleetline . E-mail me and I will help all I can - DON - fleetline51@hotmail.com

51 Fleetline / 250 /T-5
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I recently did this to my 250, it's in a 67 Chevy C20. I followed the advice in the Inliners tech section for T5 almost exactly and it was very helpful. THe one thing I wish I had done differently is I wish I would have purchased an adapter plate so that I didn't have to cut down the inout shaft and the throwout bearing tube. Obviously I cut them down and it works fine, but it would have been easier (but more expensive - $150) and then I could have used a complete clutch kit from an 86 Astro van and I wouldn't have had such tight clearances on getting the clutch setup properly. But in hindsight, I saved the money and the trans was just what the doc ordered. I cruise at 70 mph at 2400 rpm's and I have plenty of power spare to pull any highway grade at 70 mph. Also, don't be intimidated by the process described in the tech info for getting the clutch setup. If you can measure with a ruler, it's not as hard as it it is described. Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed,
then read the directions and try again.
E
Contributor
Contributor
E
TPOST,
What transmission do you have in your ride now, auto or manual?
Ken

E
Contributor
Contributor
E
T Post.
The reason I asked what type of tranny you have now is if you have a manual transmission now, there may not be any reason that you cannot use your existing bell housing. That way you can keep your existing clutch mechanism, etc. On the T5 from a 2wd S10, the measurement from the face of the tranny to the centerline of the shifter is approx. 12 inches. Get that measurement from your existing manual trans while it is bolted to the bell housing in the vehicle. This will help you determine which T5 to get. Any other measurements you need I will be glad to take from the spare T5 (S10) I have. If you don't know the o.d. of the input shaft bearing retainer on your existing trans, I'm sure one of these gentlemen on the BB can get that for you. Better yet, pull your trans and get the project going! Then you can compare the opening in your bell housing to the bearing retainer on the T5. If it is the same, all the better. If the hole in the bell housing on your vehicle is larger, there should be no problem getting an adapter (reducer ring) from Advance Adapters. This project is not going to be a slam dunk, but it can be done. Please let me know if I can help.
Ken

Last edited by El Viejo; 02/04/10 09:22 PM.
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I looked into this a few years ago and decided to go with a 4 speed and change tires and gears but this info may help you from an old post.,Found 3 ways to adapt the S10 t5 to the sixes now, after a visit to a shop in Denver that gave me these measurements, trim .56" (9/16) from the input shaft and 1.31" (1 5/16) from the bearing retainer and trim .25 (1/4) of the transmission side of the clutch hub (Vega) to stop any binding problems. The second method is to make a 9/16" adaptor plate between the trans and bellhousing, instead of trimming input shaft, and the third way is to get the Advance Adaptors kit to mount a V8 in a S10 which will give you a hydraulic clutch, bellhousing and clutch (part #712547) but will require you to change flywheels to use a 10.5" clutch. (in the $500-$600 range)

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available