Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
XXL Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
On my Chevy 250, I need to get some threads into the lower heater hose port... the one located at about 10 o'clock on the water pump, just above the lower radiator house port.

The plan, at present, is to grind inside the port to get it nice and clean/grindy. Then take an appropriately sized face washer (a face washer is a brass fitting that has NPT fittings on the inside and outside, like a bushing, but no hex shoulder... it's just threads... and because it's NPT, it's "sided"), and after masking off the inner threads really well, pookie-ing the hell out of it with America's favorite... JB Weld, and plopping it in the hole. Once dried, I'd have NPT threads to work with.

I've used JB weld before for "fixes" as cheesy as this, but I thought I'd run it past some experts (at cheesiness ) before going this route.

Does anyone have a better solution they'd like to offer up? Does anyone have any objections to this solution?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Why can't you just tap it with a pipe tap.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
Why can't you just tap it with a pipe tap.

Tapping it with a pipe tap is certainly the best solution, but you want to be careful not to over tighten the fitting you install. Use a good pipe thread sealant and snug it up. Much tighter might split the pump casting and ruin your new pump. Don't forget to use some oil on the tap, they work better that way. Good luck.

Gary
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Tapping with a pipe tap is exactly what I have done recently. Then you can use any # of fittings in it. Tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Normally I do not use lube for tapping cast iron,but here are some lubes for cast iron tapping.
http://books.google.com/books?id=VkEYAAA...n%20oil&f=false
MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I would ream it, mike the ID, and turn a brass NP nipple down to press fit with a .0005" / .001" interference. Chill the fitting and use Lock-Tite Cylindrical Part Bonding Compound at assembly.

Good for life.

Last edited by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER; 01/31/10 02:55 PM.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Take a look at the marine applications. I have a water pump on a MercMarine engine and the heater hose outlet is cast but not drilled out. I was going to use it as a factory heater delete pump on my 63 Nova.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I recently used a tap for this and it worked great. I've put 2K miles on the engine since I did it and haven't had a failure or leak. It took less than 10 minutes with the pump off the engine.

If at first you don't succeed,
then read the directions and try again.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (41 Coupe, Jstarko), 243 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available