Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
K
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
K
I'm redoing my frame on my roadster and have some options I'd like the groups thoughts on. Currently I have Clifford headers. The rear is modified to cross under the oil pan and I have dual mufflers. One on each side of the driveshaft.

With the new cross member, I'm PROBABLY going to have to go with Langdon headers but in either case I'll have plenty of room for both mufflers on the left side of the car instead of the cross under setup I have now. While the cross over modification to the headers came out very nice, I'd rather not have to play games if I need to drop the pan.

The question is should I go to a single muffler downstream of the headers (and how far downstream), or stick with the duals. I'd prefer the car to be quiet because it is an open roadster touring car and I'm too old for loud cars.... \:\)

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Kerry Pinkerton
http://wheelingmachines.com
Contributor
Contributor
The further back the muffler is, the more effective it is at sound dampening and the less backpressure it puts on the system. Personally I prefer to y into a single pipe, but you can't beat the sound of duals.

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
I've not added headers (yet) but have run the stock 2" pipe expanded to 3" single, with a pair of Flowmaster 2-chamber 40's in series. It was so quiet I took one of the Flowmasters out and it it still quiet.

A single 3" is about the equal of dual 2-1/4" so for most of our builds it is plenty of flow. If you want quiet I'd merge it into a 3" single.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Eoats, Beater of the Pack, littlejeep2), 345 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available