Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
A
Does anyone know the shore hardness of the rubber in stock or aftermarket harmonic dampers?

Last edited by Armond, II#298; 04/09/10 11:18 AM.
Contributor
Contributor
Armond, I tried to run an ATI dampner but had a big problem with metal transfer, ruined 6 or more hubs , talked to ATI several times to try and get different rubbers and got no help so I switched to a Fluiddampner and have had no problems since I changed. However since then I was talking to Glen Self and he said to ask for (I think is was) 88 rubbers that they would work. The ATI web sight showes different durometers and different weights if you can talk to the right person I sure they could help out. I don't know anything about stock dampners

ATI has a chart that shows a graph of the different types of dampers VS RPM the fluid style is best 4000-5000 RPM, VS ATI then 5000-6000 they are the same then over 6000 RPM ATI is the best, since I don't go much over 6000 I guess that is why it works so good on my setup.

Harry

Turbo-6
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
I'm not sure durometer is the only rubber factor in play.
I suspect hysteresis also contributes, as well as how much compression is used to install the rubber.

A
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
A
When I was fabing things in the industrial world, we often used liquid urethane for rollers, gaskets and vibration mounts. I'm building a damper/pulley for my 230. It incorporates the outer ring from a vortec 4200 with the shortened inner hub of an 8 inch SBC damper. Urethane rubber comes in many harnesses. I will sandblast the parts, prime them and vacuum degas before applying a slight pressure till it sets then heat treat it. I was trying to understand the different harnesses and their relationship to RPM. All this to install an Eaton M90 on a 230. The 6 rib belt should help dampen things down as well. I'll check the ATI site, though I will have a hard time finding data on the hysteresis properties of urethane and how it differs from compressed rubber. Thank you gents

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Trying to predict the characteristics of the buffer/suppression material to achieve tuning at a specific RPM would be difficult enough, but at what RPM?

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 338 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available