Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
This was a recurring discussion at the convention, how to get younger folks involved in the club.

At the convention dinner it was clear that the membership average age is closer to 70 (or more) than 60.

While a lot of the members still run the 235/261 era engine - the last once of these rolled off the GM assembly line before I was in grade school.

Locally they are nearly impossible to find, the 250/292 are also as hard to find here.

Personally I have little interest in the original series and while I did build a 292 for my GMC - it made way for a 4200 which is a vastly improved engine in my books.

By the way my 292 had quite a bit of usage over the past 2 month... It was the 292 engine Tom used on the dyno.

Guess what I'm trying to get at here is - unless the club as a whole either can find younger folks who are interest in the old technology its going to be a tough go.

One of the older gentlemen at the open board meeting got it right - either we adapt and embrace the new technology even as a retro-fit - or the club is in trouble.

Ok I'll get off the soap box and let others comment.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Efi is right. Lucky for us there is a growing interest in all things not SBCs. There are a lot of 20s to 40s guys out there building cars with inlines in them. We have to let them know we are here. I am often surprised that so many people have never heard of us. Last week I met a guy in his 50s who has been into 6cyl Chevys all his life and had no Idea Inliners existed. There used to be a Model T club that had a big Labor Day meet in Carson City. Model Ts everywhere for several days. They don't do that any more. They were mostly old guys driving what they drove when they were young or what their dads drove. Sound familiar? I promise to bring two young guys in before I go! Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Fisrt, those older guys are alot of fun. I enjoy talking with them at the convention or meetings/ outings or whatever. They bring a wealth of knowledge, and I hope to have the energy some of them exhibit when reaching their age.

There is alot of interest in inlines. I have guy's daily that contact me. The attention coming from the 250 and 292 dyno tests. I send as many here as possible. Many of them are 50 or younger.
I think it is more a matter of getting them to participate in the club. So taking them to a meeting or event is a good start.
This website serves a purpose, but the hands on from meetings/ events or help wrench on something is far more intense and will lead to more new members. Tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
SOMEONE SHOULD DO SOMETHING!

Wait a minute, each of us is SOMEONE!

Personally invite, or bring prospective members to an event.

Club statements and policy can't compare to a personal touch.

Will Willis

Last edited by will6er; 06/27/10 11:08 PM.
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Most of the younger (<30)people around here are more interested in old style hot rods including rat rods. They like the 6 cylinders due to being cheap and different. Their interest is more into crusing, partying and the rod culture than the motors or Inliners. Over the last few years we have tried to recruit several and had no success.

Inliner #1916
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The trouble with young guys is that they blame us for letting ourselves get old. They'll come around eventually, hopefully before we're gone. \:D Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I may be one of the younger guys on here( born in '78) and I think part of the problem is that it is harder to get help on the inline stuff than v8s. This inline forum and the others I'm on aren't as active as the other sites I'm on, where users primarily have v8 vehicles. The v8 engine swaps (L6 to 350, LT1, LS1, etc) are well documented and the parts are more readily available. I can also walk down my street and find a half dozen guys that know chevy v8s inside out. I don't know anyone else close by (50 mile radius) that is even running an inline.

I actually get quite a few questions regarding L6s through my website, and I think the reason that this happens is the lack of resources out there. Whenever users ask me questions, or a see someone asking inline questions on another forum, I try to point them in this direction...

Last edited by 63ChevyII; 06/29/10 12:38 AM.
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
As an even younger guy who lurks on here(born in '88) I'll say I appreciate everyone's input on the board. I can't offer as much useful info as others so I lay back. I try to get my buddies interested in sixes but it's not an easy thing to do. If you want to make 300HP from a SBF or SBC with a billion readily available OTC parts it's easy. Try doing the same thing with a 250 Ford or Chevy for the same price; I don't think younger guys have the same amount of man-hours or funds to build hot rods with as some of the more senior members, emphasis on man-hours.

With school, work, and being a 'kid'; my hotrod dreaming is done on the midnight oil.

just my two cents.

-Stephen

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
63ChevyII,,

when you start spanking those V-8 cars,you will get more people interested in switching over.

Take them to car shows/car hops,cruising w/your 6 cly ride & see who gets more attention.
MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
When I became active in the club locally, I found an incredible source of information and friendships. This can turn into more man-hours for your project, ideas for your build, and just good people to know.

Will Willis

G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
As will6er has stated, your local chapter is a good place to start. What a group of people and a wealth of knowledge!

We take 12 Ports and applications to all car related activities we attend. As Will has done in the past, leave an application on the running board or seat of a car with an inline engine, maybe with your name and phone number, you might be surprised with the response! We have attracted quite a few new members this way.

Also, look into setting up with a group of Inliners at one of your local shows or venues. You won't believe the people that stop by when they see a bunch of Inline cars together.

And as always, it never hurts to wear your Inliners shirts, hats, etc. to advertise the club.

Bob

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
I joined the club when I was in my 20's (in the 1980's)because I played with the 235 that was in my 57 chevy. still have both. Now, I have a son who plays around with the Toyota turbo 6 from the early 90's. As much as I try to get him interested in the club, the toyota folks have there own thing. It is funny though, they like to show, race and play with their motors just like we do. They seem to meet mostly on the web and not organized like our club. I am not sure when the last time the club had a club race, at least here in the northeast. NDRA meets were always one venue to do that (car show, race swap meet) they were a lot of fun but also a lot of hard work. I know my son notes the lack of an organized venue for their cars. We could provide that at some areas of the conunty=ry. than may be the key is to invite certain groups to come with their cars and participate. I will ask my son what he thinks. I believe they still have something in latimore pennsylvania. (just re upped after a absence so a little rusty on events)

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
mdonohue05-

You're in luck!

Look in Chapter News - Mid Atlantic Inliners Picnic

It is coming up in a few weeks.

Good Luck

Will Willis

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
mdonohue05,
Yes,join us at Latimore. Check the events schedule. The region has moved the get together from the Jalopy Showdown weekend in May to the Old Timers get together this August. Beside meeting new friends, you'll get to see the EMMR museum and plenty of old dirt trackers on display and even neater,on the track at speed. Very cool!. Contact Steve Orrison as listed in the events schedule or your members guide. Hope to see you there.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 26 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available