Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
A
What screw in rocker arm studs do I need to use with stock rocker arms? For Chevy 250 engine.

After doing alot of research.I assume I need a set of non shouldered SBC screw in studs and tap,tap alignment tool.
Am I correct on the above info.

Thank You,Jimmy

Last edited by arisakat99; 07/16/10 10:15 PM.
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
I would use shouldered studs if it was my choice. Requires a little more machine work.

Make sure the studs turn in freely until they stop on the hex washer face. If they don't and you crank them in anyway you will likely split the casting.

Solution is to provide relief for the last thread by counterbore or a hardened washer.

Last edited by strokersix; 07/17/10 08:56 AM.
A
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
A
Thanks for the reply.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I just replaced press in studs with screw in ones on Pontiac
V-8. I had to buy a special stud since the holes were 3/8" all ready, the new studs had 7/16" threads.

The holes were at the right diameter to tap so no drilling was required. To align the tap, I used a harden nut held down with a body shim (long legged shim used to align sheet metal) that was bolted to stud next to it. It worked really well, and with lots of tapping fluid, I did all 16 with one tap. The nut worked great in holding the tap straight and was a easy to use.

I used a older tap with the end cut off to finish out the bottom thread or two. I still ended up cutting off a few threads from the studs since they were so long. The local machine shop told me about the nut idea. They had a tool made that was nothing more then a thick piece of steel with one through hole for bolting down and one threaded hole for the tap.

Even if the holes are not 100% straight, the rocker pivot will compinsate for it, as long as you are fairly close.

Joe

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 298 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave
6,788 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available