Rate Thread
#62757 01/21/11 01:21 AM
P
panic Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
P
"... a high stall speed converter, and you'll end up with a "false neutral" at every stop sign. The engine will rev up and the converter will slam into engagement at its stall point."

Comments?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Not true. Think of it more as a rubber band between the engine and the transmission. The higher the stall the more the rubberband will stretch before the car moves. If you don't floor it there will be more slippage at the converter but no "slam" upon engagement.
One of my hot rods has a 2500 stall converter; another has a 4000 stall converter. The 4000 has noticeably more slippage on Part throttle accellerations but I would deem either of them as streetable.

Even my 5500 stall converters on my drag cars will accellerate smoothly when the throttle is used judiciously.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
P
panic Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
P
Thanks, that comment was completely off from everything in my experience and past reading. The poster is well known and generally knowledgeable about other stuff, but not this time!

Contributor
Contributor
It would have to be a really really tight converter with a awfully high stall and you would goose it pretty hard for something like that to be possible. I've daily driven a 4k n/a stall on the street successfully as well. My friend Jimmy has a 4400 stall, very tight (for nitrous) and if you didn't get stuck in traffic you could run errands in it all afternoon, as long as someone else was buying the gas!

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 374 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available