Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#64059 04/03/11 12:55 AM
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Does anyone or does anyone know of somebody who runs a turbo 250 regularly on the street or the strip? I know a lot of people who run a turbo 292 (like santucci who runs low 10s with a hybrid head) but haven't seen anyone besides tom's slapped-together turbo 250 dyno. I'd just be interested to see what types of horsepower/tq a higher boost (10+psi) 250 with all the upgrades (4 barrel, built bottom end, turbo valvetrain, lumps, upgraded ignition, etc...) would make.

Please don't take this as an insult to what the 250 can do. The fact that a simple 5psi blow-though could make 350bhp and somewhere around 300hp at the wheels is awesome. That's comparable to a 350ci (280hp) or 400ci (340hp) size engine from back then even though they made quite a bit more torque.

EDIT: that makes me think of a question... hypothetically, if you had a 250 making 350hp/320ft-lbs and a 350 making 280hp/390ft-lbs, which would make an identical car run the quarter faster?

Last edited by snowman4839; 04/03/11 12:59 AM.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
You may be looking at this somewhat wrong. The advantage of a turbo engine is pure tq at a lower rpm and a broader rpm range of tq. To get high hp #'s a engine needs to hold torq to a higher rpm ( above 5250 rpm) then high hp #'s will be produced.

A street turbo 250 can be built simular to my 250 turbo project and expect to see with intercooler, 4 bbl, timing controls ect 400+ ft lbs torq from around 3k rpm - 5500 rpm @ around 10 psi.

Mine did make more hp than you can see in vids, I did not show all the vids.
The intercooler can ad 10 % more power, so in my case 35 more ft lbs tq would have been seen.

In answer to the second question the turbo 250 I did would pose a big challenge to a 300 HP 350 from a 70 camaro as they came back in the day as Z-28's. More tq over a larger rpm range.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

Contributor
Contributor
Snowman,

Torque is what moves the (weight) car, it can be measured, HP is just a calculation of torque x engine speed.

If your torque is in the lower RPM range (max. boost) then you need to gear the car higher to use the torque made at that point of time.

A turbo has a flat torque curve and allows the engine to flow more air and makes it think it has a larger intake port therefore turning more RPM.

Harry

Turbo-6
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Snowman,

I did not have a turbocharged 250 but had a planitary ball driven Paxton supercharged 250 daily driver & only made 8-9 , rarely close to 10 tops psi of boost pressure.
Blowing though 3 DCOE's (more even fuel/air distribution)
Pic on stand w/out webers ,sold them on Ebay actually sold it all on Ebay.

Non lump port head,but had my custom upper lumps installed.

Stock rods, side grinded,polished,shot peened,w/ARP bolts,SBC 307 forged flat top pistons.,nothing special really.

4:10 rear gears,2800 brake stall converter, (not fun on freeway BTW)

Never dynoed it or even raced that combo @ a track, but I did race it against my friends 66 Nova w/a SBC 350 which he ran at a race track on a regular basis.
He later installed a built 406 w/Dart pro heads,etc,etc,etc & then he ran 11.3's-11.7's depending on tires he had used.
I thought that was too fast for me to race my little 6, LOL

My friend wanted to race me right after he got back from a race track running consistant 12.70's w/his semi built 355 CI.

We lined up right outside of my friends work so his co-workers could see the race, (Little Ceasers pizza).

We raced & I beat him by 4 car lengths, he was upset & his friends were shocked.

I later raced him @ a dfferent location w/the same results.

I estimated my combo made approx 400 HP & would run the 1/4 mile about 12.4-12.8 range on any given day.

I know,, not a rock solid comparision as a track or dyno would be ,so take it for what it worth to you.

As far as dyno comparisions go,unless you run the same dyno, same opperator,,they are not a really good comparision to anything else, just bragging rights & a good way to tune your ride & be safe instead of trying to tune on the street.

Take my Syclone 4.3 ,262 CI engine for a comparision , a little bit bigger engine ( 4" bore helps a lot though )stock they make 280 HP & (360 FT LBS of torque IIRC)
That is with running 14 psi of boost pressure.
The camshaft is anemic & the heads flow worse than our siamesed port head.

I had installed a larger turbo (flowed 100 CFM more), not much bigger than stock , believe me. I made the intecooler more efficient, MSD6A box, a Aquamist 1S systm & a stiffer wastegate.
Adjustable fuel pressure reg, cold air intake 3" exhaust , straight through type muffler, ran the boost up to 21 PSI dynoed it on a Dynopak dyno http://www.dynopak.com/

My Syclone made 386 HP & 550 ft lbs of torque.

Same dyno, same day, same friend (66 Nova guy) but with my old 65 SS Malibu, he built a 406 SBC 9.8:1 aftermarket aluminum Edelbrock heads2.02 int. 1.60 ex, headers,dual plane RPM airgap manifold,headers,dual 2.5" exhaust,Camshaft was approx .550 lift, 230's degrees duration @ .050
His Malibu made 370 HP & 460- 470 ft lbs of torque.
He also ran that @ LACR track 2800+ altitude & ran 13.0 @ 108 MPH
spinning the 275-45-17 radial tires for quite a ways, like 2.1-2.2 60 ft times.

Just an FYI, the Syclone engine is really nothing special as a long block, it's basically a Chevy Astro van engine w/lower compression ( Hypereutectic pistons )the pistons blow apart very quickly when the Syclone & Typoon engines detonate, & I mean right away.

I also made pulls @ 17-21 psi of boost. Looking foor dyno sheets as I type. aaaaarrrrrhh!

So,in short,, you can make quite a bit of power from the 250, you just need the correct supporting parts to do so safely & reliably.

Keep the interest going, you can do it.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
thanks for the responses guys

damn... that supercharged 250 must've been amazing... And the syclone beating the 406 made me chuckle...

btw tom, do you happen to have those videos of the turbo 250 on the dyno so that you could upload them to youtube? I really do love seeing more of your work and videos of your elky (I JUST WISH SOMEONE COULD HOLD THE CAMERA ON THE GAUGES...).

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: snowman4839
thanks for the responses guys

damn... that supercharged 250 must've been amazing... And the syclone beating the 406 made me chuckle...

Not a problem,
the Paxton combo was fun to drive & it really moved better @ top end power 3000 RPM & up.

When I ran 12.1 compression & 3 DCOE webers, that combo had much better low end grunt.

The 406 was 166 CI bigger than my 4.3, so dont listen to that old saying, "There's no replacement for displacemenrt"
Obviously that's just talking normally aspirated. ;\)

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
 Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank

The 406 was 166 CI bigger than my 4.3, so dont listen to that old saying, "There's no replacement for displacemenrt"
Obviously that's just talking normally aspirated. ;\)

Haha that's what my dad always says and that's why he think he's going to beat me when we drag. His Buick 400 is going to be some stiff competition but I think if I finally get my plan all together, I'll be passing the finish line first.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Forgot what does his Buick run in the 1/4?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
I should have some results for everyone in a couple months.
254ci,lump port head, intercooler, holley 4150 390cfm double pumper blow through carb, etc,...
Starting with 6psi and most likely going with E85 fuel.

Check my signature for a link to the build thread on 67-72.com

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
 Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
Forgot what does his Buick run in the 1/4?

MBHD

Well his car is in pieces right now and he's having his engine built but we should get it back in a month or two. He's running it through a Turbo 400 (which we already had rebuilt and have at the house). But a stock 1969 GS 400 runs low 15s. I expect with the cam, tires, tranny, posi, carb, etc. that he'll run 13s. That should be doable with my engine and tranny setup.

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
 Originally Posted By: kyull67
I should have some results for everyone in a couple months.
254ci,lump port head, intercooler, holley 4150 390cfm double pumper blow through carb, etc,...
Starting with 6psi and most likely going with E85 fuel.

Check my signature for a link to the build thread on 67-72.com

Just checked your thread and I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE WHAT THIS ENGINE PUTS OUT. This is damn-near the EXACT setup I wanted to see.

K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
Thanks. My goal is to have it done by the end of May. I'll be sure to post videos for all to see!

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: snowman4839

Well his car is in pieces right now and he's having his engine built but we should get it back in a month or two. He's running it through a Turbo 400 (which we already had rebuilt and have at the house). But a stock 1969 GS 400 runs low 15s. I expect with the cam, tires, tranny, posi, carb, etc. that he'll run 13s. That should be doable with my engine and tranny setup.

Just make sure he's not stroking the 400 into a 455+ CI.

Very easy thing to do,like Pontiacs & Olds, (Pontiac 326),350,400 455's all look the same dimensions on the outside & can easily be stroked & not look any different on the outside,not saying your dad is doing that ,but,, just sayin.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
Nice build. I have checked it out on the C10 forum. I have a turbo 250 also. I want to know how you are controlling such a low boost psi?

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Most factory stock GM turbo actuators will only get between 4-6 PSi controlled by the wastegate spring.

Some have threaded wastegate actuator rods which will allow you to change the boost ,anywheres from 2-4 psi up to 8-10 PSi , give or take a few psi.
The tighter/shorter you make the threaded rod the more boost,but if you go too tight,,the wastegate valve will only open so far, (meaning less)& will give you poor boost control.

So if if kyull67 is only controlling boost around this low PSI, then that is why it is low. Using only the wastegate spring pressure. No electronic boost controllers.

I use this one on my Syclone http://www.aemelectronics.com/tru-boost-boost-controller-gauge-757

& it makes the turbo spool up faster because it will only open the wastegate @ the last possible second. Works great!

Hope that makes sense.

Also, IIRC, my Syclones factory wastegate actuator opens @ 6 PSI,why it goes to 14.7 psi stock, is because it has an electronic solenoid that is controlled by the factory ECU.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available