Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Hey guys. I just got finished working with my dad and his friend on fixing my front brakes because I have never had use of my driver-side front brake ever since I bought the car but I just learned to deal with it. We ended up replacing all the major parts of the brake and now they work great and all but I took it for a test drive and after full throttle through first and second, the engine dies in third if I clutch in and doesn't "run" if I clutch in but simply spins because of the momentum (the gas pedal doesn't affect move the car). Then after 6-8 seconds or so, it starting running like normal... My suspicion is that I'm draining the bowl and I'm just waiting for the bowl for the fill back up before it will run again. Any ideas on what's going on?

P.S. - I'm finally getting the offy intake and holley 390 next week or so because I talked to the guy selling it and we decided to just go with shipping so he's getting a shipping quote on monday and then we'll work out payment.
It's not a BIG deal since it's going to replaced with a 4 barrel very soon but I'm just curious...

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Sounds like it's running out of fuel, plugged fuel filter, filter in the carb plugged, fuel pump going out. Kink somewhere in the fuel feed line, fuel pick up sock in the gas tank plugged?

Could also be float bowl adjustment off.

For being stock, you should not run out of fuel.

I remember when my 250 was not stock(never was since before I owned it), had a decent cam .510 lift 220 degrees duration (approx)maybe a little less ,bigger valves,I still had to smog my car,every 2 years,, well, I would have to install my stock 1 bbl carb & intake w/stock air filter etc,so it would pass a smog check.

Anyways, even when I drove the car w/the mods done & stock intake & carb, I would not run out of fuel, but it also would not turn the higher RPMs either because of the intake restriction.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Check all the lines back to the tank. Don't know if the 6 cylinder stock car has a smaller line than the V-8. I would blow back to the tank and may even remove the sendind unit and check the filter on the tank pick up...........Good Luck

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
snowman4839,
look into fuel delivery as mentioned in previous pots.

I know on my 65 SS Malibu factory 283 2 bbl car, the factory fuel line was 5/16.

My 69 Camaro had a fuel line same size, but I believe the V-8 Camaro's had a 3/8 line.
My friends 69 350 Firebird had a 3/8's line.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
I'll try this weekend if I don't have the four barrel by then. But I'm almost sure it's a carb problem because I've been able to floor it all the way through first and second and third and not have it die. Something must've become unadjusted in the carb.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 19 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available