Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Hey guys. I've got quite the conundrum for you. I was driving today and noticed my oil pressure light come on during the trip home. I tried turning it off and just rolling most of the way home but every time I had to turn it back on to push it a little bit (like to get going past a stop sign or getting into my driveway), the oil pressure light wouldn't turn off. I checked my oil when I got home and it was low so I added some. Tried starting it again and the oil light will stay off for the first 5-6 seconds after I turn it on but then it'll turn on and stay on. I checked under my valve cover and I didn't see any blown head gasket signs except a little condensation looking stuff on the inside but that's it. No spun bearings, no knocking, no sputtering, wtf?!?!??! WHAT IS WRONG?!?!? WHY CAN'T I KEEP OIL PRESSURE?!?!?!?!

btw, too add to my great day... I had to loosen the thermostat housing to get the valve cover unstuck and off and BOTH heads broke off... BOTH...

Last edited by snowman4839; 04/06/11 07:54 PM.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
When was the last oil change?

You may just have a bad oil pressure sending unit. It is only about 45 years old! Hook a real gage upto it to verify pressure. If it is good then replace the sending unit.

You need to turn the bolts the right way, then they will not break.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
You sure? I think you want to turn them the left way, not the right way.

I agree with Tom. Make sure you dont have a faulty sensor before you get too excited about it.

Last edited by strokersix; 04/06/11 08:29 PM.
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Well last oil change was like 2 months ago.

THANK GOD! it was just the sending unit... But I got a new one from autozone and turned it on for a sec without a radiator and it's all fine now... :-)))))))))))))))) No oil pressure light any more :-)))))))))))))))

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Put a real gauge on it anyway. You'll sleep better. Glad that's all it was.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 19 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available