Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#64645 05/09/11 04:13 PM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Can this Nash Distributor be used on a '55 302 block???

http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z358/speakfordadead/Wayne%20stuff/Nash/

Humble Newby
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Canepa Twin . . . where do you get your hands on such rare ditties . . ?

What you have is a Nash twin-plug dizzy converted by Bill Fisher's speed shop for use on a Chevy Six. This is documented on page 63 of his speed manual. The setup assumes a Stewart Warner tach-drive between the dizzy and the cam gear/oil-pump dog.

The original intention of Nash engineers was to have two plugs per cylinder firing at nearly the same time from separate coils - suffice to say they were years ahead of the boys at MSD in El Paso.

Fisher's idea was to leverage the setup for high RPM by using half of the dizzy for one set of cylinders and half for the other set. With two coil/condenser circuits and the offset rotor the 'single plug' firing order was based on every fourth hole in the dizzy head. This setup allowed for a much less crowded dwell angles and much higher RPM because each coil was only subject to 'breaking' half as often in a traditional Delco six hole dizzy.

This could be made to work on a Jummy or Chevy. I would go back to your numerous bins in search of an SW mechanical tach drive . . .

Nice piece.

regards,
stock49

[Linked Image from 49fastback.com]
stock49 #64692 05/11/11 01:15 AM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
got the tach too.... ;\)

Humble Newby
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks for the schooling .... I am learning as fast as I can. There is so much of this "1950's cutting edge" technology here. Pop's projects are going to be great museum pieces when I am done. After the Jimmy project, (see "under Pop's weeds") I will move onto the Bonneville car. The dizzy will go into that. I'll hook up with Pertronix for my GMC pick-up.
Thanks again..... check in on us often!!!

Humble Newby
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Love your treasure trove . . . keep sharing what you find . . .

I am glad you are putting these pieces back on the road . . . it's what they were intended for . . .

stock49 #64805 05/18/11 12:18 AM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
FYI... Garrett at Pertronix has the Dizzy and we chatted for a bit today. Guess I'm gonna have to fire up the Sun Dizzy machine and hone my skills a Dwell and curve. They will set the dizzy up for HEI and send stock equivalent springs. He is also sending a set of heavier springs just in case I have to change the mechanical adv. Super nice guys. Super easy to work with.

Humble Newby

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 189 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave
6,788 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available