Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#64735 05/13/11 10:53 AM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Guys,
I need to ask about aftermarket rocker arm assemblies and who mfgs them. Does anyone have a favorite?
A question I neglected to ask earlier was what you all do for rockers besides stock? Does anyone use aftermarket? Is the geometry for the Rockers limited as to ratio? The Buick I8 rockers are too short to span pushrod to valve and remain centered. The geometry appears pretty limited without redesigning and boring pushrod and lifter clearances and angles. Seems the GMC big port head is pretty vertical.
What options are there?

Humble Newby
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
There's nothing available, has to be made to order.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
For the 216 and early 235 there are Barker's (intake only)
Rocker Post circa '04

Fenton also made a high lift rocker for the early engines.

Less known is company called Thomas that made adjustable rockers for alot of different engines. These show up on ebay once in a while. Problem with them is that they are made of magnesium - which doesn't age well tending to get brittle.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks panic. Thanks stock49. I'll order them teusday. Rocker specialties is only open three days a week.

Humble Newby
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Contacted Rocker arm specialties and spoke with Randy. Great guy and very knowledgable. He is going to try to fit the 1.75's off the Buick I8 and get them closer to 1.6 as Charlie from Camcraft suggested. Will let you know how they come out. We have a customer in now who had 1.8's made for his Olds Rockett 88 324. They look OEM until you set them side by side and mic them..... fabulous job!

Humble Newby
N
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
N
I just received a new set of 216 High Lift Rocker Arms manufactured in Anderson, CA. Reasonable costs, great workmanship and the went right on my engine. I did a cold set first, started it up and brought it up to operating temperature and then set each Rocker at the proper clearance. I'm very happy. They made a set for my son who has a GMC 248 and he has had the same success. These folks are knowledegable and very helpful.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I also connected with Jerry Weigt. He makes rollers. I am very intrigued. Will likely do both. I have a 270 H head just itching to go on a motor. Now I just need another truck.... or maybe I'll put it in a Sprint car????

Humble Newby
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Jerry Weight certainly has the knowledge,experience, and resources to do that. I think he will be at "Rappin' to Minden" in a couple of weeks. Come on down and talk to him. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
High Lift Rocker Arms manufactured in Anderson, CA

What's the company name?
Both intake and exhaust?
Use the stock shafts and hardware?
Ratio?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Panic,
Try this. Spent about 1 minute search time.
http://www.rockerarms.com/rockerarms.com/Home.html

Looks like they make nice stuff. Tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
I e-mailed them last year - no specific answer, "read the catalog", no quote, "we can make anything".

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
TLowe... I'm not sure if you know Jerry or not. I just got off the phone with Him and his sweeter that pie wife, Jean. Oh my gosh. What an incredible couple. By the time the phone call was over it was like we were old friends. Awesome to know that this Inliner crowd is so family oriented. Just a warm all over feeling! And he is going to hook me up with a nice set of Rockers too!!!!

Humble Newby
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
What sort of increase in power do these give?

35chev
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
3-4 HP per cylinder is average. But if you port the head to allow for more efficient flow it can be increased significantly. The only real way to know is to dyno before and after porting. Costly but it would give your "porter" bragging rights.

Humble Newby
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
On Buicks str 8's I used to make my own. Put a bolt in the adj. screw hole- machined it flat top and bottom-made a ficture with a guide hole in it to redrill all the adj. screw holes closer to the rocker shaft hole. Did have pushrod clearance problem-cured with the same die grinder I ported the head with. Used stock Buick pushrads (they are tubular) never bent a one at 6000 RPM. 1 OL REDNECK

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks Popper6. I plan on using them for a different head. Just because I like pulling off "one off" stuff. For now though, I am going to go for the custom billet rocker arms. I haven't abanoned the idea of using I8 rockers, just kinda pressed for time. If you have some pic's of the process I'd be grateful!!!

Humble Newby

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (41 Coupe), 167 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave
6,788 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available