Rate Thread
#66475 09/22/11 11:36 PM
S
Skezix Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Ok.. bout to give up on the dream of an inline in my apache.. gone through so many modifications to get a custom valve cover on, to set up the powersteering etc.. Now I have a wonderful issue in that my alternator pulley lines up with nothing, its to far back, my powersteering pump lines up nicely with my harmonic but I have tried every GM waterpump pulley that I can possibly find and none line up with my balancer.. This is a 68 292, I am running the waterpump with like the 1' bypass, the larger one interfeared with the powersteering bracket so had to swop to this one.. anyhow.. any help on the alternator not lining up or what waterpump pulley I could use would be appreciated..

It appears to me that if I was to pick up a 3 groove harmonic I would have a slot far enough back for the alternator but will the rest of them line up? I am just lost and about to lose my mind! heh thanks all.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Are your PS and alternator brackets stock and for a 292?. What depth water pump pulley do you need to make it work? Do you have pictures?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Contributor
Contributor
I was dealing with the same problems until this bracket popped up on E-Pay. 320738391990
It is very well made and has made my life way easier in that area.

S
Skezix Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Beater, yes the PS bracket is stock and the alternator is stock also, I have even tried a couple of different inline alt brackets 250 etc but they all land it in the same spot. I have seen that bracket on ebay and have thought about it but I have 4 stock ones and I am still not convinced that is my problem. I will take some pics today and measure the WP pulley.. I am just not understanding why this has to be so hard.. want to fire it up! Pics shortly

S
Skezix Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Well solved one problem in that my balancer just did not want to set all the way in.. the keyway i think was jammin it up.. So now the balancer is back, the front groove lines up with the waterpump pulley yet that wont help.. I believe I am in need of the two slot waterpump pulley so I can run the PS pump.. It appears the BBC waterpump pulley lines up nice with both grooves on the harmonic.. Front groove lines up great with the PS pump.. Back groove although... Still no dice on the alternator.. Its about 1/2 inch to far back.. quite possibly have to drop the 70$ on the custom bracket off ebay.. Dont think I have much more of a choice, all the stock alt brackets I have hold it to far back.. I have 4, even have a couple off 250's etc.. nothing seems to bring it forward.

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
The last time replaced the alternator on my 292. I had to switch the pulley between the rebuilt and the original alternator on my 292. IIRC there was about 1/2 inch difference. My 2 bits

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
When we first put the supercharger on my son's Studebaker I had to make spacers to get it to line up. That caused some other issues. The first Stude guy to see it said"Why are you running that pulley backwards?" Do some of those water pump pulleys stack to make a double?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
How about a dble pulley on the alternator, would that let the front groove line up?

Been there, Done that, Hope to live long enough to do it again.
Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
We welded a "tab" the same thickness as the bracket to the back of the stock alternator bracket to move the alternator mount forward. Lined everything up and drilled holes in the bracket to match the block.

Inliner #1916
S
Skezix Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Well I got lucky.. Was out at the local picknpull and there was a 63 sittin there with a 250 I think.. anyhow lookin at the alt i noticed the pulley was spaced away from the "fan" on the alt.. I pulled it off and the pulley itself was older had a keyway groove yet the alt was new.. anyhow long story short put it on my alt and now it all lines up nicely.. Thanks all for the input and help, was about to shoot myself.. Now just need to figure out the belt config.. Thanks again.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Good news, thanks for telling us the solution. Never think of shooting yourself, there are already too many unfinished projects out there. \:o

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 19 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available