I have a few more questions on the Chevy 235 motor that I am working on. The motor was pulled from a 1951 chevy but running the casting #'s it is a 58-62 235. The motor turns over and has a tranny attached that looks good. I pulled the tranny last night and am in process with pulling the bell housing.
Once I get it on the engine stand I plan to do a compression and leak down test and pull the head to check the cylinders. I have not had this motor running yet. What should I look for or what should be changed out on this engine? Will it be OK as is running unleaded thru it? Barring any damage inside should I upgrade valves for the hotter burning fuel etc?? I plan to run a remote spin on oil filter as the original filter is gone. I would like to upgrade the motor for performance but wanted to know if there are any basics that should be done first to keep the motor reliable.

My 51 project car has a good running 216 in it so this 235 is just a way to get a better base to build off of. The problem is since it is a 58 or newer I don't have alot of information on it.

It's my first 51!