Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tomztoy Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
I had read several posts on how to disconnect the torque tube from the tranny end but nothing on how to disconnect it from the axle end.
I am switching to an open drive line and am going to use the existing axle housing. I am planning on installing a center section from a 1961 chevy c10 with 3.38 gears.
I also am installing a 200-4R & bought Tom Landgon's adapter kit.

Thanks
Tom

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
-Albert Einstein
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Hi Tomztoy . . .

For this type of swap the entire rear-end needs to come out of the car. If you pull the bolts out of both ends of the spring eyelets the axle and third member will drop and you can slide it straight out the back of the vehicle:
of course the e-brake and brake lines will have to be disconnected as well.

I have read that the open drive line pumpkins from '55 and up will bolt to the these older banjos - not sure how far 'up' into the future this inter change continued. The ring gear carrier is bolted to the banjo - the torque tube is riveted to the carrier - you need only to unbolt the carrier from the banjo and replace it with the open drive line carrier. However, with such a swap the spring perches must be reworked.

With a torque tube there is only one universal joint - at the transmission. This universal includes a slip yoke which allows the length and angle between the pinion and tranny to vary as the axle moves up and down through suspension travel. Because of this the springs are mounted in such a way as to allow the the axle housing to rotate on the perches.

When switching to an open drive line the pinion angle needs to be SET by the perches. The axle must be fixed at this angle so as to work in harmony with the universal joint on the transmission.

Long story short - you can reuse the axle housing - but not the stock spring mounting arrangement.

regards,
stock49

P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
1955-62 1/2 ton center sections will bolt right in 1940-54 1/2 ton axle housings.
As for pulling the torque tube, you need to pull the back cover, remove the lock bolt from the carrier that locks the spider gear shaft in place, then pull spider gear shaft. Then you push inward on each axle until the C clip falls off the inner end of the axle, then pull the axles out. Then undo the 10 mounting bolts and remove.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 26 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available