Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Has anyone else seen it yet (I suppose many have). The latest issue of HRM has an article 'How to buy your first turbo'. In the article they approached several people in the turbo 'industry' and asked them to spec a turbo for 3 different hypothetical engine combos. The first engine they discussed was the 250ci L6. Haven't finished reading it yet, but thought I'd throw this info out there for anyone interested.

".....don't give up a TURBO more than makes up for all of this BS." Turbo-6

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I got it last week but have not had time to read it yet.

I see nice writeup on a 63 SS convert Nova. w/a 3.8 Buick Regal turbo V-6.

Funny, most turbo guru' are not saying to run a .96 A/R turbine housing. Most suggest running a smaller A/R w/low boost.

I subscribe to this mag.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
when did this come out? Is it on the shelf now?

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Larry,
Not sure if it's on the news stand now. Mine is a subscription and I got it early this past week, Hank said he got his last week, don't know if he got it off the news stand or sub. It's the May issue.

L
Contributor
Contributor
L
So...which turbo did they recommend?

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
I'll be keeping an eye out for that issue, wasn't on the stand Thursday.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
 Originally Posted By: limequat
So...which turbo did they recommend?

Read the article last night. The target was 300-350hp

Ken Duttweiler - Precision Turbo 3254E - Capable of 470hp as he likes to size turbos capable of supporting 30% more power than the original goal.

Exile Turbo - T04E-57 with a TA31 Turbine wheel in a .63 A/R housing. 38mm Wastegate

Garrett - 53mm GT3071R (PN 700177-23) using the midrange .82 A/R. Says an intercooler isn't needed if the intake temp stays under 150 F.

Hellion - 54mm Compressor "This supports the power level but still has great response. A larger, 61mm turbo will support 400-500hp,". A 26x6x4 Air to Air Intercooler could add 50hp at the same boost. Start with an A/R of .81 in a 62mm turbine housing. 35-38mm wastegate.

Precision - PT6266B Ceramic bearing can hand about 20 times more thrust load than their hydrostatic bearing counterparts. Roughly equivalent turbos are available with hydrostatic bearings at a considerable cost savings. Mate the unit's 62mm compressor with a .58 A/R T4 tangential turbine housing.

Turbonetics - GT-K 500. An improved descendant of the classic T04. HP-61 compressor wheel and an .82 A/R turbine housing with it's proprietary F1 wheel. At 5psi they forecast 320hp without an intercooler and 335hp with one.

L
Contributor
Contributor
L

Interesting stuff. I was thinking more along the lines of what could I find in a junkyard, but the advertisers don't like that, I suppose.

Syclone turbo or any number of diesel turbos could do the job - like a holset hx40.

Use twin turbos and there's all sorts of possibilities. I'd toyed with using 2 WRX turbos for my 4.2 (Mitsu TD04-13T). You can score these turbos for $150 each and they will push 22 psi in the midrange everyday and twice on Sunday. The fab work involved with a twin setup scared me off though.

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Yeah, they aren't gonna tell us what our best 'junkyard' option would be. Understandable though considering who the contributors to the article were. I doubt we'd be lucky enough to see a feature vehicle with a junkyard turbo and enough info that we could duplicate it. Who knows. In the Dec '11 issue of Car Craft they do a feature on Marty Stomberger and the cars he has built. The cover says 'Turbo Guys' and there are 8 different cars with specs in the article. No inlines but he uses a variety of turbos, ebay, precision, chinese etc but they don't give a ton of info on them.
I snagged a Buick GN turbo for my 250 inline project, it'll work for a while I'm sure. I can always upgrade later if I want.
I understand why you went single instead of twin....was probably moreso the space required under your hood as opposed to the 'fab' work, eh?

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
For a junkyard/used turbo I think a Syclone & Typhoon turbo (4.3) is a good size for a 250= 4.1, Plus they have water cooled centers.

The Buick T-Type motors are smaller (3.8) & using one of those turbos will work, but will be more restrictive.

I have not measured a manifold inlet temps w/out an intercooler, but I have w/my Syclone that has a water coolded intercooler.
With just normal driving around @ night, approx outside air temps of 65 degrees (F) I see 90-95 degrees (F), and that is not boosting @ all, just driving normal.

I can imagine not having any intercooler, the air inlet temps would probably closer to 100-110 or more degrees in the same conditions, add 5 psi of boost pressure to that I can see the inlets temps getting pretty hot easily, I can only guestimate the temps (115 & up for sure, 160?, I would still recommend a intercoller of some sort, we still have all the under hood heat to deal with & dont forget the exhaust manifold is right under the intake manifold.

I dont buy into anyone suggesting not to use an intercooler, that's jusy my opinion.
Two cents thrown..

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
L
Contributor
Contributor
L
 Originally Posted By: copo-rat
Yeah, they aren't gonna tell us what our best 'junkyard' option would be. Understandable though considering who the contributors to the article were. I doubt we'd be lucky enough to see a feature vehicle with a junkyard turbo and enough info that we could duplicate it. Who knows. In the Dec '11 issue of Car Craft they do a feature on Marty Stomberger and the cars he has built. The cover says 'Turbo Guys' and there are 8 different cars with specs in the article. No inlines but he uses a variety of turbos, ebay, precision, chinese etc but they don't give a ton of info on them.
I snagged a Buick GN turbo for my 250 inline project, it'll work for a while I'm sure. I can always upgrade later if I want.
I understand why you went single instead of twin....was probably moreso the space required under your hood as opposed to the 'fab' work, eh?

No really, I hate fab work \:\)
There's two of everything. Two inlets, two downpipes, two charge outlets, two oil feeds, two oil drains, etc, etc.
I betcha the Chevy twin turbo concept would have fit under the Supra hood. Well - as good as what I have does, lol.

L
Contributor
Contributor
L
 Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
For a junkyard/used turbo I think a Syclone & Typhoon turbo (4.3) is a good size for a 250= 4.1, Plus they have water cooler centers.

The Buick T-Type motors are smaller (3.8) & using one of those turbos will work, but will be more restrictive.

I have not measured a manifold inlet temps w/out an intercooler, but I have w/my Syclone that has a water coolded intercooler.
With just normal driving around @ night, approx outside air temps of 65 degrees (F) I see 90-95 degrees (F), and that is not boosting @ all, just driving normal.

I can imagine not having any intercooler, the air inlet temps would probably closer to 100-110 or more degrees in the same conditions, add 5 psi of boost pressure to that I can see the inlets temps getting pretty hot easily, I can only guestimate the temps (115 & up for sure, 160?, I would still recommend a intercoller of some sort, we still have all the under hood heat to deal with & dont forget the exhaust manifold is right under the intake manifold.

I dont buy into anyone suggesting not to use an intercooler, that's jusy my opinion.
Two cents thrown..

MBHD

MBHD

For 5 psi, I can see not using one. But why in the hell would you buy a $2500 turbo, plumb it and only run 5 psi? At 5 psi and no intercooler you might as well buy one of those ebay electric "turbos".

My first turbo car -a Sunbird- had no intercooler. It was a hoot to drive, but I wouldn't call it reliable. When was the last time you saw one?

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: limequat

For 5 psi, I can see not using one. But why in the hell would you buy a $2500 turbo, plumb it and only run 5 psi? At 5 psi and no intercooler you might as well buy one of those ebay electric "turbos".

My first turbo car -a Sunbird- had no intercooler. It was a hoot to drive, but I wouldn't call it reliable. When was the last time you saw one?

If you ask Tlowe how hot the turbos charge pipe was on the 250 dyno engine,, he might change your mind.. It gets hot!

My bros 91 mercury turbo car boost pressure was 5 psi stock, it had an air to air intercooler factory.
His car was designed to use 87 octane fuel.

If the factory did not install one does not mean it would not have run better if it had an intercooler.

Intercoolers & plumbing cost money to install.

I think most all those turbos recommended in the Hot Rod article will boost way more than 5 psi & be more efficient over 5 PSi, those turbos have room to grow & boost more.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
The Hot Rod article (issue May 2012) has a picture of a cast iron turbo exhaust manifold (Chevy I-6), with the following description:

"Turbo Chevy straight-sixes were a factory option down in Brazil. Sissell has a supply of these cast-iron Brazilian exhaust manifolds, as used by Howland in his sedan."

No Mr. Marlan Davis, factory Chevy turbo never happened in Brazil! Check your sources…

Keep it INLINE!
Early 173" FED (still motorless)
Ricardo
I.I.# 4784
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: Roc On The Rocks
The Hot Rod article (issue May 2012) has a picture of a cast iron turbo exhaust manifold (Chevy I-6), with the following description:

"Turbo Chevy straight-sixes were a factory option down in Brazil. Sissell has a supply of these cast-iron Brazilian exhaust manifolds, as used by Howland in his sedan."

No Mr. Marlan Davis, factory Chevy turbo never happened in Brazil! Check your sources…

So are you trying to say you can't believe everything you read in magazines. \:D

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 336 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available