Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
E
Greetings,

What do you think would be more practical?

1.) Have a 2nd rebuild done on my 235.5 CI Straight Six - 57 Chevy - 3 on the column; or

2.) Replace the Motor with a 350 Crate?

Here is the background.

Sraight Six Situation Now
===================
I had the motor rebuilt in 1998. Now it is making a loud clanking noise that seems to me to be very internal towards the lower part of the block. At first I thought that the problem was pushrod or lifter related. According to my mechanic, who has worked on the car for serveral years, the lifters and pushrods are fine. He is not sure what the problem is. He mentioned that it could be bearing-related. However, he would not know without having the engine torn down to a point.This noise is gettting progressively worse it seems each time I drive the car.

Now I am emotionally involved with this engine and honestly do not want to part with it unless it is truly necessary. I have just put a lot of myself and parts into it and feel too attached. Just a couple of months ago, I got the fenton intake shaved down and added two of Tom Langdon's progressive Weber carbs. I am really happy with that setup. I only have about 100 miles on the car with that setup. Thus another reason why I do not want to let the engine go.

I am guessing that a rebuild will cost me around 3 grand. I believe I paid 2 grand in 1998. And yes; I am too emotionally tied.

350 Crate Motor
=============

My mechanic enjoys working on the six. However, over the years he has suggested that I give thought to a crate 350. Carbeurated is an alternative. Then there is fuel injection. I realize that in terms of parts, fuel economy, etc., that the 350 route does have some advantages. There is the new/reused option too. Depending on a six rebuild or a crate, the prices might not be too dissimiar. I know that I could keep my tranny and would need a few extra things to make a 350 swap work.

My Take
======
I guess for anyone this would be a personal decision. However, I wonder does it make sense to have an engine torn down and rebuilt a 2nd time? Then again maybe when the block is partially torn down, the problem could be discovered, fixed, and things could be put back together without going through an entire rebuild.

I would love to hear what thoughts you all may have.

Thanks in advance.

Eddie
edwardl301@aol.com or here.

L
Contributor
Contributor
L

I think most people here will agree when I say that I could give two shits about another 57 chevy with a 350. Don't do it.

What about a different, known healthy 235? Or if you want to upgrade: 250? 292? Vortec 4.2?

In my experience, a rebuild is rarely a better deal than replacing with a takeout. $3000 will buy you a lot of motor - and you don't have to worry about that clank again.

Also, it's never cheaper than you expect \:\)

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Is it your only ride? If it's all you've got then a quick fix might mean a 350. If it can be built it can be rebuilt and there is no reason a rebuild can not be excellent quality. I will say that a good machine shop is not easy to find these days. Limequat's other engine choices all make sense but none but the 235 is a straight bolt in. I'd stay with the 235 and I would have to know what the noise is. As long as the block is good I'd rebuild it. I would not own a '57 with a V8 in it. \:o

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
250 or 292 is my choice

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: elane352
Greetings,

What do you think would be more practical?

1.) Have a 2nd rebuild done on my 235.5 CI Straight Six - 57 Chevy - 3 on the column; or

2.) Replace the Motor with a 350 Crate?

Here is the background.

Sraight Six Situation Now
===================
I had the motor rebuilt in 1998. Now it is making a loud clanking noise that seems to me to be very internal towards the lower part of the block. At first I thought that the problem was pushrod or lifter related. According to my mechanic, who has worked on the car for serveral years, the lifters and pushrods are fine. He is not sure what the problem is. He mentioned that it could be bearing-related. However, he would not know without having the engine torn down to a point.This noise is gettting progressively worse it seems each time I drive the car.

Now I am emotionally involved with this engine and honestly do not want to part with it unless it is truly necessary. I have just put a lot of myself and parts into it and feel too attached. Just a couple of months ago, I got the fenton intake shaved down and added two of Tom Langdon's progressive Weber carbs. I am really happy with that setup. I only have about 100 miles on the car with that setup. Thus another reason why I do not want to let the engine go.

I am guessing that a rebuild will cost me around 3 grand. I believe I paid 2 grand in 1998. And yes; I am too emotionally tied.

350 Crate Motor
=============

My mechanic enjoys working on the six. However, over the years he has suggested that I give thought to a crate 350. Carbeurated is an alternative. Then there is fuel injection. I realize that in terms of parts, fuel economy, etc., that the 350 route does have some advantages. There is the new/reused option too. Depending on a six rebuild or a crate, the prices might not be too dissimiar. I know that I could keep my tranny and would need a few extra things to make a 350 swap work.

My Take
======
I guess for anyone this would be a personal decision. However, I wonder does it make sense to have an engine torn down and rebuilt a 2nd time? Then again maybe when the block is partially torn down, the problem could be discovered, fixed, and things could be put back together without going through an entire rebuild.

I would love to hear what thoughts you all may have.

Thanks in advance.

Eddie
edwardl301@aol.com or here.

If oil pressure is Good.Take a close look at the flywheel bolts Or the dampener. They will also make noise like what you are talking about. Sometimes at start-up Or shut-down Or Just on and off the gas. Will make it wobble back and fourth.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
E
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
E
Hey Beater,

It is not my only ride. I have a 79 Corvette, 63 Plymouth Fury, and a Tacoma Toyota truck.

Now you hit it right on the head regarding being able to find a good machine shop. When I had the 318 in the Fury rebuilt about 5 years ago, I was without the car for 1.5 years due to shop turnover, and inexperienced people. Finally after the work got farmed out to a MOPAR guy I was able to get the car and motor back. I should not complain too much since the motor has been flawless since the rebuild. However, waiting 1.5 years was not what I had planned.

Regarding the noise, I just do not know enough at this point to pinpoint what it actually is.

I will take a look at the flywheel bolts or the dampener.

Eddie

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Yes, to what Larry said. That my well be your noise source.

I'm looking for a shop here that I can trust so I can finish my 4 cyl build.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
T
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
T
My own opinion,since a 57 Chevy was made famous by the 283 V8,I would probably do a V-8.A 350 can be made to look close to a stock 283 for very little money.Good running Chevy V8's can be had for 500 bucks or less all day long,no need to spend 1800 bucks on a low HP crate engine.If it was an earlier car,I would go with a 6.Not to say a six isn't worth considering in your car.
Your car,your decision.
Enough of any one type parked in a long row gets ho hum,no matter if it's V8 or inline

70 Triumph 650 cc ECTA current record holder
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
I had a '54 chevy 235 in high school. Summer before senior (1962) year, I put in a 261 pretty much stock just dual exhaust. Both my '54 235 buddies bought '57 bel aire hardtops that summer, I could stay with 2 bbl Powerglide '57, but no way with the 4 bbl stick '57, and both '57 hardtop's looks made my old 210 2-door kinda blush.

Now another buddy had a 150 '57 2-door with a good 235 and stickshift- when he put twin 1 bbls on it ,it became nearly an even match for me, I would put it on him at every shift, but he would wind out and catch up at top end of each gear. So the old 235 with some carbs can be a bit fun against bigger inch cars, and if you jump out in front of one (and got some glasspaks)He wont know his name until he can get past you. Its especially sweet if the guy has his girlfriend with him. (She says" I thought you said he was only a six and would be easy to beat him...he says shut up and drink your cherry, pink fuzz limeaid coke!!))

So what does that mean? I'd say if you got a light body '57 and run 3.55/3.70 gears maybe I'd still stick with the old stovebolt-'cause if you beat someone, THEY WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING TO ANYONE ABOUT IT! It will be such a sweet victory. Rebuild it with an old time "3/4 race" cam-that will be an ally to the carbs. And must have very loud pipes to really bring on the attention (but careful-you may have to pay the city a few dues) I know a good set of Smitthy steels can rattle plate glass storefronts on a hot day! And set off car alarms--OOOH Lordy!

And nooobody can generate much whoopla about the nine millionth 350/'57 chevy in town.

As they say, thats my two cents!

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
261" 2 carbs and dual exaust!!!!! 1 OL REDNECK

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113
N
NOX Offline
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
N
I've been facing this same question for many years now, regarding my '68 Camaro. It came stock with the 250 Turbo Thrift and powerglide. Many, MANY people have asked me why I don't just stick a 350 in there. The answer is really easy.

Because you can't throw a rock and not hit somebody's rebuilt Camaro with a 350 in it. They're more common than dog exhaust, and just about as interesting anymore.

Sure, dollar for dollar you'll get more bang out of the SBC than that 6. But do you really want to just be another member of the herd?

I'd say if you like the six, make it happen. I'm personally going to try to swap my 250 out for an LL8. 254 cubic inches, so I keep my 250 badges on the fenders, and I get the better part of 300 horsepower, and darn good fuel economy to match. According to my research, in 1968, none of the available factory V8's made as much net horsepower as the LL8 except the 396 anyway.

Take the road less traveled. Stand out of the crowd. One thing we have far too much of these days is conformity, and nothing is more conformist than sticking a crate 350 in your hot rod.

L
Contributor
Contributor
L
 Originally Posted By: NOX
I've been facing this same question for many years now, regarding my '68 Camaro. It came stock with the 250 Turbo Thrift and powerglide. Many, MANY people have asked me why I don't just stick a 350 in there. The answer is really easy.

Because you can't throw a rock and not hit somebody's rebuilt Camaro with a 350 in it. They're more common than dog exhaust, and just about as interesting anymore.

Sure, dollar for dollar you'll get more bang out of the SBC than that 6. But do you really want to just be another member of the herd?

I'd say if you like the six, make it happen. I'm personally going to try to swap my 250 out for an LL8. 254 cubic inches, so I keep my 250 badges on the fenders, and I get the better part of 300 horsepower, and darn good fuel economy to match. According to my research, in 1968, none of the available factory V8's made as much net horsepower as the LL8 except the 396 anyway.

Take the road less traveled. Stand out of the crowd. One thing we have far too much of these days is conformity, and nothing is more conformist than sticking a crate 350 in your hot rod.

Well said.

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: limequat

Well said.

. . . and well placed . . . on a site dedicated to inline power plants . . .

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
LL8?

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
MmmmmMmm, 4200 power, especially with a turbo or two would definitely be a screamer. \:\)

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
vintage tongue in cheek . . . but only for a moment . . .

An Atlas I6 should make that '68 scoot - might even give a period vee-thingie a run for their money . . . it's probably a bit lighter then the 250. . . . taking the car into the 10-11 pounds per HP zone.

And an LL8 is still in line . . . so it's got my vote over a bent eight crate motor any day. . .

E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
LL8 == 24 valves & 12 ports from the factory \:\)

inline '69 LL8 camaro

Last edited by efi-diy; 05/28/12 10:47 PM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: efi-diy

inline '69 LL8 camaro

I thought the car is a 69 Firebird?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
L
Contributor
Contributor
L
 Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
 Originally Posted By: efi-diy

inline '69 LL8 camaro

I thought the car is a 69 Firebird?

MBHD

What's the difference?

You're right MBHD \:\)

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
The difference is one is a Chevy & the other is a Pontiac.

Firebirds weighed more than Camaros.

Pontiac had there own rear axles for most of them.

Different interior. Dash boards are different. 69 Firebird dash looks closer to a 67-68 Camaro dash. Angle of the sheet metal.

Most parts will interchange between the two.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Thanks for clearing that up.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. - Plato
N
NOX Offline
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
N
I'd really like to see a step-by-step buildup on that Firebird. Seems like that fella's awful stingy with the photographs. . .

L
Contributor
Contributor
L
I've only ever seen these 3:

So, here's Jerry's instead:

And here's the latest status of my supra for no good reason:

N
NOX Offline
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
N
Thanks for the pics! So it seems that CarCraft mis-reported that first car as a Firebird... Not that it really matters in the end.

The shots of the empty subframe and motor mounts on Jerry's car are the real meat and potatoes. I can see how the notched crossmember is necessary to keep the LL8 under the hood. I like that a whole lot better than running a Cowl Induction hood. I really want to keep my '68 clean, without the spoilers or any of that junk. Not sure why a second crossmember is necessary--maybe just to stiffen the chassis overall? Certainly can't hurt. Jerry's build wouldn't happen to be documented out there anywhere, would it???

I've gone over every page of your Supra swap (more than once). I'd say it's flat out essential reading for this swap. In the real world, I think you address most of the important stuff. But there's something comforting about seeing it happen on the same platform I'm working on. I would still love it if one of these guys doing the F-bodies or first gen Chevy II/Novas would do something as in-depth as your writeup. Maybe that will have to be me!

Just a postscript: Even if an LL8 swap is not your cup of tea, I'd like to stress that it's just as cool to keep that 235, or whatever else you want to run. There are to right or wrong answers here.

L
Contributor
Contributor
L
 Originally Posted By: NOX
Thanks for the pics! So it seems that CarCraft mis-reported that first car as a Firebird... Not that it really matters in the end.

The shots of the empty subframe and motor mounts on Jerry's car are the real meat and potatoes. I can see how the notched crossmember is necessary to keep the LL8 under the hood. I like that a whole lot better than running a Cowl Induction hood. I really want to keep my '68 clean, without the spoilers or any of that junk. Not sure why a second crossmember is necessary--maybe just to stiffen the chassis overall? Certainly can't hurt. Jerry's build wouldn't happen to be documented out there anywhere, would it???

I've gone over every page of your Supra swap (more than once). I'd say it's flat out essential reading for this swap. In the real world, I think you address most of the important stuff. But there's something comforting about seeing it happen on the same platform I'm working on. I would still love it if one of these guys doing the F-bodies or first gen Chevy II/Novas would do something as in-depth as your writeup. Maybe that will have to be me!

Just a postscript: Even if an LL8 swap is not your cup of tea, I'd like to stress that it's just as cool to keep that 235, or whatever else you want to run. There are to right or wrong answers here.

I think Jerry might have head a thread in here. I can't remember where I got the pics. I agree, it gives you a warm fuzzy just to see that a) yes it's been done and b) it doesn't require an act of congress.

I think the propensity to document swaps is inversely proportional to the age of the builder. It's up to you to make it happen for the old F-bodies!

E
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
E
Well guys; thanks for the input. I realize that it has been awhile since I have last responded too.

I went through some thinking the last couple of months.

I have trailered the car down to North Carolina. My cousin has a mechanic there that has rebuilt a couple of motors for my cousin.

So I am going to go with the rebuild. I just cannot seem to part with the 6. There is too much of me in it. Plus I do like the looks when I go to car shows and open up the hood. The Wayne valve cover and the new carbs from Tom Langdon do make the car look real nice.

Well, I will keep you all updated as soon as I get the car back.

Eddie

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 296 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available