Print Thread
Rate Thread
#69985 05/28/12 01:28 PM
P
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
P
Been working on a 4.3L '01 silverado lately thats been sitting for four years. Its a freeby job, and it has the "{spider") injection with poppet valves. Man the crud these new vehicles have is amazin'

From trying to educate the computer to a new passlock Keycode for a whole month 'til I found out the BCM (supposed to be under steering column, was found taken out and laying under the back seat-not fair!) To a goodwrench friend giving the wrong story about what the fuel pump pressure test port was really reading.
Not to mention learning about a certain fuel pump that is so bad that CarQuest wont carry it any more.

Well, a new pump is on it way and the replacement MFI for the old poppet valved SCFI already installed, works so fine that I want to put on my 3/4 ton 350 which has no problems.

Lots of stuff to learn about these scan readers too! And one more thing, at what point do we stop believing these codes and come to the question of "is the computer wrong or maybe dead" or is it factory programmed to keep sending out codes until you run out of money.

OH, what a wonderful car was the '55 Chevy, be it stock or hot.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I've been playing with using the injection from a 4.3 on an inline for a while now, built an adapter to use the stock distributor and the injectors in a Clifford manifold and a whole bunch of wires and a few sensors. If I can get it to work properly it will be a whole lot cheaper than buying a new Edelbrock or Holley carb and a lot more tuneable.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
L
Contributor
Contributor
L
 Originally Posted By: preacher-no choir
Been working on a 4.3L '01 silverado lately thats been sitting for four years. Its a freeby job, and it has the "{spider") injection with poppet valves. Man the crud these new vehicles have is amazin'

From trying to educate the computer to a new passlock Keycode for a whole month 'til I found out the BCM (supposed to be under steering column, was found taken out and laying under the back seat-not fair!) To a goodwrench friend giving the wrong story about what the fuel pump pressure test port was really reading.
Not to mention learning about a certain fuel pump that is so bad that CarQuest wont carry it any more.

Well, a new pump is on it way and the replacement MFI for the old poppet valved SCFI already installed, works so fine that I want to put on my 3/4 ton 350 which has no problems.

Lots of stuff to learn about these scan readers too! And one more thing, at what point do we stop believing these codes and come to the question of "is the computer wrong or maybe dead" or is it factory programmed to keep sending out codes until you run out of money.

OH, what a wonderful car was the '55 Chevy, be it stock or hot.

Lol, good read. I have a 96 4.3 with the same injection system in my 86 Mazda B2000. It tripled the torque output of the stock 2.0 engine. The factory thermostat froze up, but otherwise it's been pretty reliable.
When I did my swap, I threw out all the OBD2 controls and used junkyard OBD1 parts from a v6 sunbird. Low cost of entry, but 10 years later I'm still not sure if my ECT slope is reversed or not.
In terms of refinement, a 90 deg V6 has got nothing on an inline of any cylinder count.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (CrabFoam), 247 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available