Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
Pritch Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
P
My alternator don't even come close to lining up with the others. What am I missing here? Do they make offset pullys for alternators? I'm going to have a hi-amp alt built, anyway.

I do have one of these kind of alt mounts and wouldn't be hard to add this piece of metal to extend it forward the 3/4" I need:

Any thoughts?

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
It is not hard to make a custom alternator bracket.

There are dual pulley alternator pulleys. That might work.

Your engine is a 292?

That alt bracket looks like a 250 bracket, not sure if the 2 engines use different brackets?

Guys!

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
P
Pritch Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
P
Yeah-292. I have 2 of the nicer, cast mounts. I know one came off a 292 for certain and they are identical. One of those is holding the alt on in the picture. The loose one in my other picture seems very much more industrial, bordering on home-made, and it puts the alt maybe a big eighth farther forward.
It came in the big box of parts that came with the basket case 292 I bought. I don't mind fabbing my own mounts, but I would prefer to stock stuff if it's available.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I recently purchased an alternator bracket from Davis Speed equipment in Madison, Wisconsin. The mount had generous slots where it attached to the block which allowed quite a bit of movement front to back for alignment purposes. It may be enough to help you. Give them a call. Here's a link to their site on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTERNATOR-BRACK...2#ht_500wt_1182

P
Pritch Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
P
Thanks for that link, JimRJ. I see that they also have a power steering bracket, so I may just go that route.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Your water pump pulley appears to be the bolt on type. Summit, Jegs, etc: sell spacers that go behind the pulley for a very reasonable price. I belive there are 3 different thicknesses in the package. Used them when I put a Mustang pulley on an old Ford Y-Block to speed up the pump. good luck...

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
P
Pritch Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
P
OK-this is what I came up with:

I roughed out a piece of 3/8 aluminum flat stock (coolest thing ever-a blade that cuts alum on a tablesaw)

Clamped the stock mount to it and drilled some holes

Ended up something like this

Now everything is close enough that a little shimming here and there will make it all just right. Once that happens, I'll take that back off and do some shaping and polishing to make it purty.

Next I'll tackle the power steering bracket. I have a smog pump bracket that looks like it can be modified to work.

Last edited by Pritch; 07/21/12 11:36 PM.
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
That's getting it done. Good job.

That table saw seems a bit scary!

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
P
Pritch Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
P
[quote
That table saw seems a bit scary!
MBHD [/quote]

Yeah-I thought so too, the first time I used it, but it goes through just fine. The company I work for has a fairly well-equipped shop, and they have one that will cut steel just like a hot knife through butter.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Carbide tipped saw blades in a table saw cuts aluminum with no problem. Its about the right RPM. They work good in a miter saw too.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It can be hard on a saw not meant to be bathed in metal chips. I have a dedicated junk cutting table saw for such tasks. I buy them cheap at yard sales or harbor Freight etc. I even use a masonry blade to cut bricks and blocks. Aluminum cuts like butter, frozen butter.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 26 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available