Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
GUYS RELAX..... everybody has there own way of doing things so respect there views, its there privledge.

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
Hank was that the engine that Douglas blasted into so many tiny pieces that he sold the car? I think some shrapnel beat him to the finish line. I was really fast while it lasted \:D

Yes it was fast & it was not even all sorted out.
What took the engine out was what Mike Kirby & I believe is that the right drivers side front of the engine block let go in a big way & took the whole engine out along w/it.

As some know, that is the week link of the standard low deck engine block.

His last pass was a 8.6 @ 165 MPH blowing up way before the end of the 1/4 mile.
Douglas had said it was on a 7 second pass.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I knew the run was expected to be fantastic. And in many ways it was. 8.6 @ 165 is damn fast for a broken car! Heck that's fast for a good running one. \:\) What is Douglas working on now?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
He is currenly looking forward to his 700 HP N/A 292 & run it in his SS orange Opala.

Street tire class I think the tire needs to be a 215 60 or 65 15?

Not drag radial class, regular street tire class.

I think the class record is 11.40 or there abouts?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Should be easy for him to do, those Opala's are light compared to US hot rods. Wish him luck in getting the record.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I hope he takes some video for you to post. Thats a lot of horse power. Does he have a Kirby head?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I hope he takes some video for you to post. Thats a lot of horse power. Does he have a Kirby head?

Yes it has a newer version of the Sissell/Kirby cyl head.
He usually takes vids of his track times.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
I only wish you "experts" could spell as good as you can brag and posture yourselves. "weekside", "there privledge", " Payed", with statements such as these its hard to understand what possible meaning some of these posts really have-also some of these posts are really meanspirited. Sounds just like a bunch of gutless high school bullies hiding behind their keyboards thumping their chests.

Straighten up, youre an embarassment to the site, huh titan? Oh yeah, I almost forgot the disclamer "no disrespect" you stink-but "no desrespect" just my two cents thrown and MHO voiced.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Don't read 'em. Then you won't be upset or embarrassed. This is not required reading.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
"Disrespect" is a word I'd rather never hear again.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
[quote=preacher-no choir]I Sounds just like a bunch of gutless high school bullies hiding behind their keyboards thumping their chests.

Straighten up, youre an embarassment to the site, huh titan?

Or like guys who make fun of other people's spelling then misspell "you're" and "embarrassment" in the same post while trying to kiss ass. Or guys who post under two names to play games. \:o

F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
[quote=preacher-no choir] Or guys who post under two names to play games. \:o

As far as mine is concerned,rest assured, it is no game!

Nice place we have around here, huh?

Since we are all in a nitpicking mood... technically, he did not misspell the word you're, he mispunctuated it.

fasteddie250sprint

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I'll bet JeffF won't ask how to raise the compression on a 292 again.. , the only person not jumping in was EFI-DIY wanting him to install a 4200. \:\)

Last edited by jalopy45 #4899; 08/19/12 02:40 PM. Reason: misspulled

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: Fasteddie250sprint
[quote=preacher-no choir] Or guys who post under two names to play games. \:o

As far as mine is concerned,rest assured, it is no game!

Nice place we have around here, huh?

Since we are all in a nitpicking mood... technically, he did not misspell the word you're, he mispunctuated it.

fasteddie250sprint

He'd still have to write it 10 times correctly before he got to go to recess. \:D

F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
[/quote]

He'd still have to write it 10 times correctly before he got to go to recess. \:D [/quote]

Either that or maybe we ALL need a couple of raps across the knuckles with a ruler! ;\)
fasteddie250sprint

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
So. What IS the best inexpensive way to boost compression in a 292? Did we come up with anything? If you spend $450 for LP pistons wouldn't $600 for forged flat tops be better? Just $150 more with better pistons and more compression. Might a 194 head work at part throttle and low RPMs? You know daily driver stuff. They used to add metal to chambers to raise compression on early Chevys. Did that shroud the valves? They went faster.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Well, I think that the dyno tests showed pretty clearly that as long as you do the same mods to either a 194 head or an open chamber head and don't give either head an unfair advantage over the other and allow just the stock chamber size to be the only difference, that 1/2 a point of compression that is gained with the 194 head isn't going to amount to anything. Sure, Hank cut his 194 head excessively and got a good gain compared to the open chamber head he was running he did nothing to. Thats because he gave it an unfair advantage, if he had cut his open chamber head by the same amount as the 194 head, he would have been back to only the difference being the original chamber difference of 1/2 a compression point, and the .060" milled 194 head not being any benefit over the .060" milled open chamber head.

The pistons are just not easy to get around for a 292, they are expensive anyway you look it. But the forged will provide the better solution because you can get the quench where it needs to be by putting the deck hgt. closer to the top of the deck, and gain much more compression that just swapping to a 194 head.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
Sure, Hank cut his 194 head excessively and got a good gain compared to the open chamber head he was running he did nothing to. Thats because he gave it an unfair advantage, if he had cut his open chamber head by the same amount as the 194 head, he would have been back to only the difference being the original chamber difference of 1/2 a compression point,

The 250 head I was running had more porting & larger valves than the 194 cyl head I switched over to.

I am sure the 194 head flowed less than my 250 head, but I did not flow test the 194 head, only the 250 head, & those numbers were not that great mind you, I never had lower lumps in any of my cyl heads.
The only lumps I ever ran are on my current large chamber head & those were my own design & are upper lumps.

Trying to remember what cc's my current cyl head but it is roughly 80 CC's? It's been a while since a friend & I did this work.
Valves are sunk & chambers were all opened up.
I was not worried about airflow so much because I was going to run a Paxton supercharger on it & the air/fuel mixture was being forced into the engine, regardless of a worse flowing head.

The 250 head was not able to get to 12.0:1 compression like I got out of the 194 head, that is the only reason why I chose to use the 194 head.

The main reason I wanted all that compression was to try & get as much torque out of my engine.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Glad you got that all worked out while I was gone. It was funny reading on my blackberry from the bleachers at the MOKAN dragsrip.
I about fell off them when I read about: OPINIONS.

OK, now for the group hug.

FastEddie and Hank that means you too.

We all have good things to bring here. Maybe we need to think about how brash we come across. Sometimes it is meant that way and other times not.
I personally like all the ideas we bring here. Memories do go bad or change with time. I like to have real proven tests as CNC stated to dispel any rumors. Maybe someone else can do a 194 head test. I am all ears.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Beat, I only post under one name, this is a test, what is the other one!

Also who is getting the kiss in that post?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It sounded like a big smooch aimed a titan but I could be wrong. \:\) It is really hard to tell the tone of all we do here. The two name thing was a sweeping generalization adding to the " gutless high school bullies hiding behind their keyboards thumping their chests." thing.

So how would you increase the compression in a 292 in a thrifty manor?

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
I suur woud not spend a ton of money on head mods and the weeken the light wait casting by milling it for a little compresion. Compresion is good but not that important when you gotta start braking the bank, buying four dollar ethyl. But if pistons and the cost of boring is what Ive bean hereing, I dont think Id do eather. In reading dyno six stuff from the past, on the 261s (tho differnt) more hosses and tork come by way of ainches. So overalls I think Id relie on the compression resulting from the cilinder volum, an wile atit get sum big,(.060 r mor) kiler pistons. So you probably shud bore it big and wile youre at itget the highest comp they mak. Ya get too bangs for youre buck that way.

I DONT SMOOCH THE GRAND TETON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll PM you something when I get back from Corpus thursday or so.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Preacher,
I think I better go back to school after reading that one.

Rather than adding compression by doing it with head decking or pistons. Why not do it with a cam change? The dynamic compression can be changed easily with the cam swap. I have been working on some grinds to do exactly that. Tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: preacher-no choir
I suur woud not spend a ton of money on head mods and the weeken the light wait casting by milling it for a little compresion. Compresion is good but not that important when you gotta start braking the bank, buying four dollar ethyl. But if pistons and the cost of boring is what Ive bean hereing, I dont think Id do eather. In reading dyno six stuff from the past, on the 261s (tho differnt) more hosses and tork come by way of ainches. So overalls I think Id relie on the compression resulting from the cilinder volum, an wile atit get sum big,(.060 r mor) kiler pistons. So you probably shud bore it big and wile youre at itget the highest comp they mak. Ya get too bangs for youre buck that way.

I DONT SMOOCH THE GRAND TETON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll PM you something when I get back from Corpus thursday or so.

Now that thar post is a art work. a reel pease of litatur. Ewe kud rite buks en stuf. \:D
What;s up in Corpus? Car stuff? Beater

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
I take it these would be high lift, short duration cams know as "torque" cams with as small an overlap possible during exhaust closing/intake opening- thats the probably cheapest way to build up the pressure in the c. chamber, limiting factor would be the tougher springs required to follow the more rapid opening and closing lifts, that would cheaper, maybe not quite as much extra pressure as the other ways-but bound to be worth the smaller bucks. I still mention some good profiles to look at would be those "068, and "067" Pontiac grinds ('cept they're for 1.5/l.65 factory rockers-but no hill for steppers). Pretty good idling and nice boost in performance-068 was the '66 tripower cam used in the 360 hp/389 throphy GTO motors.

Good less used approach to a vexing problem!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I put a "milage" grind when I replaced the cam in my '70 Blazer. (350 sbc) It is a low rpm torque grind. It ends up being a great street/off road cam in this vehicle. Lots of power from idle to 4000 rpm. Good economy. I can see how a similar cam for L6s would be a good street option.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I love RV grinds, especially when combined with bowl work to enhance port flow, they are a great combo for a snappy street driver.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Im surprized ya didnt like ol four dollar Ethyl down on th corner

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Im surprized ya didnt like ol four dollar Ethyl down on th corner

Spell check on isle 8.

12 port SDS EFI
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
isle? you mean, like, water?

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Me an' God saw a picture of kay sissell's 230 block w/292 crank in his '23 Tee altered about 1965ish with right side laid open like a butchered hog, exiting pieces pushed cam thru the block causing nothing good.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
You can raise the cranking compression figure by just closing the intake valve very early - like right after BDC.
Example, using my estimating .xls: a 235 with 7.5:1 static CR and IVC at 48° (stock 244° cam) yields about 6.7:1 DCR and 129 psi gauge pressure. Closing the intake at 20° instead brings the gauge up to 147 psi and 7.4:1 DCR.
Why not do this?
Because it kills peak power. Inertia fill ABDC is a big part of the charge mass, as well as a major portion of the total intake event (time in degrees × average lift).
The theory is that if the rate of lift is fast enough, you'll still have good flow during the actual intake cycle (BDC > TDC) but in practice it's not enough.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
isle? you mean, like, water?

Just checking if you were awake. It's not like you to mispell like I do all the time. Good job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisle

12 port SDS EFI
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 325 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available