Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
stan z. Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Thought I'd post the link for anyone interested. Hope i didn't break any forum rules, this is not mine just thought someone might want it if they hit the lottery LOL!
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693578

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Interesting example of what they had not yet learned when this head was designed: the wedge combustion chamber.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Interesting that a "wedge" shape has some quenching where this one does not. Algon did make a wedge shaped chamber and it was not as effective as the Wayne or the Horning which had an oval camber. The Skinner, which this one is, was designed after the Chev V8 was in production. This also allows for a spark plug to be in an "over" position instead of a "side". I do know that these heads love nitro methane and not too sure about the wedge.........Good Luck.

Good price on the head but missing too many accessories.

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
F
Newcomer
Newcomer
F
Stan, thanks for posting this!

This head is mine, and I purchased it new. I had planned on building a blown, 12 port Jimmy as my next LSR engine, but jimmy six and the other 'Jimmy' guys are light years ahead of me on knowledge!

I decided to stick with my Caddy flathead, and just progress up in class with different cars, to see what the engine will do.

I will consider interesting trades on the head.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I knew who it was yours. Good luck with FlatCad I know you are definately enjoying yourself. A great cylinder head that can make some big power; it is said to be the best one for the GMC and I'm sure Bill Goldman and Vince will back me on that..Mine new one getting flowed as I write...Getting ready to design the cam. Rods are in process and pistons will be last on the list and the easiest......JD

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
S
stan z. Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
 Originally Posted By: FlatCad

This head is mine, and I purchased it new. I had planned on building a blown, 12 port Jimmy as my next LSR engine, but jimmy six and the other 'Jimmy' guys are light years ahead of me on knowledge!

I decided to stick with my Caddy flathead, and just progress up in class with different cars, to see what the engine will do.

hey flatcad how about giving us some history on your head. How did you come to be you come to be the owner, what kind of times did you run, etc.

S
stan z. Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
 Originally Posted By: stan z.

hey flatcad how about giving us some history on your head. How did you come to be you come to be the owner, what kind of times did you run, etc.

"i will consider interesting trade"? Theres no more interesting trades then the one I offered you LOL!

F
Newcomer
Newcomer
F

"i will consider interesting trade"? Theres no more interesting trades then the one I offered you LOL!

Stan, you made me an offer that might have killed us both! LOL!

I have never ran the head- it's only been out of the original shipping crate for pics.

I bought it for a future land speed project, but decided to stay with my blown Caddy flathead instead. Both engines would run in the same class.

JD, good luck with that engine build! I'm sure, that with your past and experience, the bar will continue to be set high!

Last edited by FlatCad; 11/08/12 09:10 PM.
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
That head can have quench if you want, just reverse "D"-cup the piston and run it at zero deck.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hey Buddy, if you attacked the Jimmy with the same enthusiasm and effort as you did the FlatCad, you definately would take the GMC to a higher level that hasn't been seen before.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
F
Newcomer
Newcomer
F
CNC-Dude, Thanks for the kind words!

Honestly, those Jimmy guys have set the bar high! JD Tone, Doug Robinson, Don Ferguson, Bill Goldman, Vince Norton, and many others have, and are, doing amazing things with these engines!

It would take years to catch up on the learning curve, and a whole lot of money, to be able to emulate what they have achieved!

I think I'll just stick with this old flathead!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The real draw of LSR, for me anyway, is the guys who keep going back year after year with the same engines and a new idea. Records aside just beating your own previous time is a worthy goal. Red Hats are cool though.
What a great looking head. I hope it goes on a block and not a shelf. I could borrow Tom's saw, lob off two cylinders and bolt it on a '28 Chevy block! \:o

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Beater...What you said has kept me going. I set the XO Gas Roadster record at 162+ in 1985. By 1987 some in power in the SCTA was sure my car was a "cheater" and changed the rules. By 1992 I had figured out how to bring it back and start plugging away at the record again. Found it was tougher than I thought. Got side tracked with the nitro 12 port for 6 years finally stopping in 2004; but we did get 2 red hats.

Decided to give the stock head on gas another try and besides a few guys were starting to get pretty close.

Like you said with age and time to come new ideas and starting back in 06 we've pushed up the record 5 different times just resetting in at 169.2 in October at the World Finals. My problem is I went 171+ in 2011 and I've still got that itch.

A 12 port on gas is coming with a goal in mind but the stock head will always be lurking in background.

I love reading about everyone projects on the site. If I find the time, maybe my 40 coupe can get back on the dragstrip and show at some Inliner meets. Got plenty of 302's for it and a turbo 350 since I'm getting to lazy to shift.....Good Luck to all

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
There are politics everywhere or even worse politicians. The first thing I remember reading that was not about Dick and Jane or Tip and Spot was an article in a small magazine about Bonneville. That was in the early '50s and I have only been to speed week twice and those recently. It is strange how right it feels to be there. Some sort of pilgrimage thing. I would love to race there but starting from scratch at this point probably won't happen. It is great that so many are so friendly and that the pits are open to guys like me. I hope to see you there next year.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
N
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
N
I watched a Skinner twelve port on a 292 Chevy make mincemeat out of those Drag cars in its class. Many couldn't believe that it ran that good. I had heard the designer/builder had passed away. My only comment is if you like an inline and want to go fast if this head fits what you have and it can be bought for anything less than six grand grab it. Look at what the high perfomance V-8 heads with a special set of gaskets goes for today. None of it is cheap and the inlines making a great sgowing almost takes me back to my childhood. Our 216's 235's and an old 248 Jimmy all ran good for me! Look at them when you open the hood and they get a look at what just showed them the tail lights at the finish line. Stunned usually.
Normbc9

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Tom Skinner, from here in south Jersey passed away several years ago, but had previously sold or transferred all his head design to Joe Fontana in CA. You are talking drag cars, but Tom was mainly known in this area for his incredible GMC modified stock cars, eespecially in the hands of the late Parker Bohn.

http://www.empaonline.org/bohn%20bio.html

Last edited by Drew, II # 4211; 11/14/12 10:01 PM.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 122 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available