Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
R
We are looking at using modified Chevy 6 rods in another engine, but we need to know a couple of specifications before we can determine if it's worth looking any further.

Can anyone please provide me with the specifications below?

1. Precise internal diameter of the rod big end bore?

2. Width of bearing shells used?

I would expect the first dimension would be gleaned easily from a workshop manual, the second by running a vernier caliper over a bearing shell.

Thanking you guys in anticipation.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Well, there are 3 Chevy 6's that come to mind right away, which one are you meaning.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
R
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
R
I would imagine it's the 7-main bearing one as used in pickups, an inline six, of course.

It has 2.00" crank journals, it probably has 6.0" rods as standard.

Last edited by Ray Bell; 11/14/12 08:49 PM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Ok, the 194, 230 and 250 use a 2.000" rod journal diameter. The factory rod for those engines is 5.700" in length. The bearing width is .842, and the housing bore is 2.1247"/2.1252". The rod width itself is 1.030".

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Ray, Like CNC said the later sixes 194-250 have a 2" rod pin The 292 has a 2.1". They use the same bearings as the V8 with the same size pin. The 292 rod is 7" the others I think are the same forgings as a V8 but the V8 big end is machined narrower so they can run side by side.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
R
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
R
Thanks for that, guys...

Anything else you need to tell me?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Ray, I sent an old rod and piston thread back up because I don't know how to link them here. It was mostly about GMCs & 292s but there may be something that you can use.
Finding Rod specs has been really hard for me. What are you trying to do, or is it a secret?
Some of our Chevy 4 cylinder discussions got into rods as well. Basically the 153 uses the same rod as the small 6s. The 181 is the same length and width but uses the 2.1 bearing. The 151 uses a 6" rod with 2.1 bearing. There is some width difference in the later 181 and the rods are pressed powder. Same bearing and they are the V8 width but I don't know if they are off set like the V8s.
Well how confusing is that ramble? Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Beater, the 292 rod is 6.76" in length, the GMC rod is 7" if thats what you were thinking maybe.

R
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
R
 Quote:
Originally posted by Beater of the Pack
Ray, I sent an old rod and piston thread back up because I don't know how to link them here. It was mostly about GMCs & 292s but there may be something that you can use.
Finding Rod specs has been really hard for me. What are you trying to do, or is it a secret?

You would guess there is a Mopar connection, wouldn't you?

We are looking for rods to suit our project engine and we need rods with a wider big end than V8 rods have. The rods we have zeroed in on from an aftermarket supplier are fine for engines that are to be revved harder, with a length of 6.25", but for an engine built more for torque we want one of slightly less, the 6" one made for the Chev 6 looks perfect.

But...

It needs about a tenth of an inch taken from the big end width to suit. This is why I needed bearing width... we can grind the sides of the forging, but do we need to get some other shells to fit?

The reason for asking the ID of the big end bore is that the longer rods we will use have a good range of modern bearings available for them, there is a possibility (yet to be determined, of course) that the bearings for it might be able to be fitted to the Chev rods with a minor hone or something.

As for sintered iron rods, I am totally defeated when it comes to their use in anything bigger than a lawnmower!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Picky, picky, picky. I was rounding up to the nearest inch. \:D Thanks for correcting that. Yes that's why we looked into GMC rods in a 292.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: Ray Bell
 Quote:
Originally posted by Beater of the Pack

You would guess there is a Mopar connection, wouldn't you?

We are looking for rods to suit our project engine and we need rods with a wider big end than V8 rods have. The rods we have zeroed in on from an aftermarket supplier are fine for engines that are to be revved harder, with a length of 6.25", but for an engine built more for torque we want one of slightly less, the 6" one made for the Chev 6 looks perfect.

But...

It needs about a tenth of an inch taken from the big end width to suit. This is why I needed bearing width... we can grind the sides of the forging, but do we need to get some other shells to fit?

The reason for asking the ID of the big end bore is that the longer rods we will use have a good range of modern bearings available for them, there is a possibility (yet to be determined, of course) that the bearings for it might be able to be fitted to the Chev rods with a minor hone or something.

As for sintered iron rods, I am totally defeated when it comes to their use in anything bigger than a lawnmower!

Did you check the thread here about fitting GMC rods in a Chevy? Mike narrowed the bearings as well as the rods. Just a thought. Keep us up on your project. We need more MOPAR talk.

R
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
R
Are you anywhere near the Virgin River Gorge, Beater?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
No virgins near here. A few miles from Six Mile Canyon near Virginia City. In Nevada a virgin river would be one that hasn't been wet yet.
When my second son was 5 years he was playing in the yard when a small thunder storm came over. When the cloud passed between him and the sun and the shadow passed over him he looked up a few drops of rain struck his face. He immediately fainted and I had to throw a bucket of dust on him to revive him. He is 28 now but still runs for shelter when clouds approach.
That Gorge is a long day's drive from here. I have been through it.

R
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
R
One of the great sights of our recent trip...

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
There are so many beautiful drives around here if you like mountains and desert. One of our favorites is Highway 14 in Utah between Cedar City and Kanab. Just about every land form in the West within a few miles. I am happiest on a road trip. Did you see the thread about our Fall Leaf Run?

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 30 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available