Print Thread
Rate Thread
#74126 02/21/13 09:47 PM
J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
I picked up this turbo from ebay and have a few questions.
[img][/img]

What all do I need to do to make sure it's in good working condition before I even think about mocking it up?

Can I take this part off to soak it and then paint it?

How far should I go with dissasembly? Do I need to check the turbine wheels and can I replace them if necessary? I know lots of questions but I like to ask before I start wrench turning.

Jaimi
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The part you refer to to is the carb flange, it will easily unbolt.
For the turbo, start by removing the oil pressure line hookup. Drip some engine oil into that port to lube the bearings and shaft. While the front of turbo is opened up, spin the shaft/ Impellor. Does it spin smoothly? How much wobble does it have? Look at the impellor and exhaust wheels for damage on the fins. I would not recomend taking the shaft apart to check the seals. If there is excessive oil comsumption once it is running, then do the seals.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

J
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Thanks for the advice Tom. I got the carb flange off and cleaned (will probably have to do a coupe more times before I feel that I've got enough of the carbon removed). I checked the propeller/fins and they seem good to me. They spin easiy and I don't feel any wobble in them.

Is it ok to clean the housing and paint them with high heat paint if I make sure I tape off the opening where the fins are? I realize that won't help it run any better but I'm just one that has a habit of cleaning/painting parts to make them look better.

Jaimi
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Painting the housing on the exh side (rusty side) will be futile. It will burn off.
The other side will brighten right up with a wire brush and brake cleaner.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I use high temp black spray paint on my Syclone turbos & it seems to work just fine.
While your @ it, you could enlarge the wastgate hole opening. If you look closely, the hole is much smaller than your wastegate flaper valve, opening it up will give you better boost control, just do not go hog wild & open it up too much, going too far could cause the valve to get stuck open, (need to be careful)

As a side note, when you enlarge the hole, it will allow more pressure per square inch on the valve & cause it to open up a bit sooner, a stiffer wastgate actuator helps tremendously! ;\)

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 311 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available