Print Thread
Rate Thread
#74218 03/04/13 02:41 AM
'
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
'
Just looking at my 250 block after being decked .030", and there is a crack into the right rear head bolt hole; from the water jacket. I am going to use the block, but with head studs.
What is availeble for studs? I know there is ARP.
Can I make 2 studs?
Can I use only two studs (next to the h20 pump and the oposite corner at no. 6cyl?
Thanks Jason

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
ARP is your best bet. You need to either use all studs or all bolts, don't mix and match. A stud has a different clamping effect than a bolt does, so only use one or the other.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
you should have magnifluxed "before" machine work. thats going to be a problem area for you from now on. been there done that. i,d epoxy the stud in.

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It is very common to see a crack there. With head studs, you will be fine.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

V
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
V
Yeah I have cracks on both of the rear bolt holes. machine shop said its not a problem as they are between two places where they can't affect anything. So I am going ahead with mine as well. using all ARP studs on mine. Found out you actually have to cut the front drivers side stud down a little as it protrudes into the water pump area causing intereferance. I email ARP and they said its no problem to cut the end off the stud a little as long as you keep it cool while cutting. I'm taking 1/2 inch off the end as it sticks way down into the block past the casting.

'
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
'
Yes I know everything should have been magnufluxed. I could have done all that my self, but I think I just wanted to put my head in the sand on any cracks. Cracks in the crank would definitly be terminal. thanks for all the stud info. ARP studs are about a month away.

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
A HEAD BOLT WILL DO THE SAME JOB AS A STUD IN THIS CASE IF YOU USE THE ARP/EPOXY THREAD SEALER ON IT. THE ARP STUFF IS SUPER GOOD.I JUST DID A SUPER BLUNDER MYSELF, I TOOK A FELLAS WORD ON A SET OF BBF D0VE-C HEADS, STRIPPED EM, HOT TANKED EM THEN SHOT BLASTED THEM, HAD ABOUT 55.00 IN CLEANNING COST AND BOTH WAS CRACKED... TOOK THE FELLA AT HIS WORD AND IT BIT ME AND HE'S LONG GONE. I DESERVED WHAT I GOT......
GOOD LUCK SPERIENCE COMES TOUGH MOST TIMES....

I BELIEVE IN " JOHN 3:16 "

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available