Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
Finally got all the parts to start reassembling the engine. Got the pistons in. One upgrade was going to ARP head studs and the better FelPro head gasket (based on what I was reading in "the book"). Being new to the Inline 6 world, I wasn't sure if the #14 head stud hole in the block was to have a "raised" ring around the threaded hole. I figured it might be something to locate the head gasket. Being that the head gasket bolt hold would not fit around this, I looked closer and it looks like it might be a threaded insert for a stripped hole. I carefully ground this flush to the block.

Then I installed the head studs and found this one didn't sit down as far as the rest. Well I think things have gone south as I was able to get a torque of 75 ft/lbs. but trying to get to 95, it feels soft and not reaching the torque.

I have a really bad feeling that I am screwed. Any thoughts?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I would remove the rest of that heli-coil and install a new one and see if that helps.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
It is best to install and torque the head after the water pump is installed and tightened; it helps support the two front corners of the block, especially the drivers side....fats

fats
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
 Originally Posted By: Ks Fats
It is best to install and torque the head after the water pump is installed and tightened; it helps support the two front corners of the block, especially the drivers side....fats

Yep, did that. Thanks for the reminder.

Looks like I get to take everything apart, yet again and hopefully that threaded hole can be fixed...

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Time-sert much stronger then heli-coil.

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Ran into this on my flathead some time back...the heli-coil had the end (down in the hole) angled across the diameter of the coil to facilitate inserting and was supposed to be broken off after inserting but had not been, so it did not allow the stud to go to full depth. May not be your problem but I never felt very confident with the setup thou I did finally get good torqe on the head at that stud.

'38 Stude/292
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
 Originally Posted By: g.m. dude
Time-sert much stronger then heli-coil.

Where do you get your time serts?

Last time I looked for one up here no one would fess up to having any.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
 Originally Posted By: Sam Welch
Ran into this on my flathead some time back...the heli-coil had the end (down in the hole) angled across the diameter of the coil to facilitate inserting and was supposed to be broken off after inserting but had not been, so it did not allow the stud to go to full depth. May not be your problem but I never felt very confident with the setup thou I did finally get good torqe on the head at that stud.

Yeah, I don't think this was the issue as I had looked down the holes originally and before putting the head back on, used a cleaning tap to clean all the holes in the block. It went all the way down without any problems.

Suck part is, this engine was built by an engine rebuilding company and you would think if there was a problem with a head bolt hole, they would reject the block to be used. Guess not... \:\(

C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
Got a couple pics of what is going on

This was ground flush before I started and pull to the bottom of the head at about 75 ft/lbs.

Here is the insert I removed

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 325 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available