Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I'm using my original-to-the-car 153T flywheel behind my new 292. I just now noticed that I have three dowel pins on the 292 crank flange as an upgrade from just one. I'd prefer to keep the more positive location when using all three pins (as opposed to just pulling two of them.

I assume this is a factory deal and if so, does anyone happen to know the spacing of said dowel pins so I can have my machine shop drill the two extra holes in the flywheel?

*side note: flywheel has already been drilled for 1/2" bolts, and has one dowel pin hole.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by 63Biscuit; 06/02/13 12:40 AM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Those dowel pins are on the same bolt circle with the bolts. They are also centered between the bolts.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

Contributor
Contributor
They are centered with the bolts, but the spacing is set up for the flywheel to be set in the right position for the silver ball in the flywheel to be used in timing the engine.
If you have holes in the crank for dowell pins, put them in the crank flange. On some cranks they go all the way through into the lower area of the engine. They can be a source of a nasty oil leak under engine oil pressure. Many times they will fool you into thinking you have a rear main seal leak. So be sure they are plugged when you have finished your flywheel work no matter what you do.

Last edited by 6cylindersovertexas; 06/03/13 12:32 AM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Your referring to the Stovebolt engines, the OP is asking about the later generation 6 cylinder engines.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks gents! Flywheel is at machine shop, getting extra holes punched in it. :-)

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
I could not find a 153t flex-plate with nine holes, so I had to drill my own. I did it on a machine at our shop-it wasn't too difficult to figure out the spacing. I did have to file one of the holes a little to get it to go on the crank easily, though.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 258 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available