Print Thread
Rate Thread
#75910 07/14/13 10:54 PM
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
I went to a car show today. I was asking about carb set ups for my 292 which turned to the small throttle body fuel injection, which turned to a conversation that completely lost me, but I am now exited to figure out how to do. He was talking about welding six injector bungs in a Clifford intake, installing a crank trigger system, and coil-over-plug system, eliminating the distributor, resulting in a sequential FI system. OMG, I am not this advanced in modern FI to do this on my own, BUT I WANT THIS!

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
What benefit do you anticipate?

Contributor
Contributor
That's what I have in mind for my 292 build if I ever get to start one. Been done for decades on VW beetles, and kits are getting cheaper.... look into Megasquirt kits. The only thing that is a question mark of sorts is the siamesed intake ports...

Benefits from EFI would be more accurate mixture across all cylinders and better quality mixture entering the cylinder, which in turn allow you to push the envelope a little further with high perf mods. Crank trigger ignition then allows you to have whatever ignition curve you want, to match. You just need to know what you're doing.

if you are not doing any high perf mods, then these benefits remain as potential, and don't really offer you much more than cool factor and bragging rights and a nicer, cleaner running engine ;\) By themselves the power increase is "minimal" and not worth the investment and labor.

Last edited by 70Nova; 07/15/13 09:15 AM.
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
This engine will be going in my street rod, so yes a lot of this is just for the cool factor. I do like the idea of it running cleaner without having individual cylinders running either rich or lean since I'll be doing a lot of idling too. While at the car show, I remarked a few times weather the show was about "cool cars", or just to see who could build the most radical engine that never get used.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The cool factor will be their for sure, but expecting the individual cylinders being immune from lean/rich conditions isn't going to happen with a siamese port head.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Here is a the name of an old thread for a project that never got finished but there is a lot of good info mixed with my whining and rambling. It was about putting a GM TBI on a turboed 292. It goes through the build of a Megasquirt that does work. My lack of Windows skills messed me up. There are a lot of links to photos and other information. There is some new interest in putting it on my 270 GMC. Maybe between now and Bonneville. There is another thread where we did a demo of putting the MS on this engine. This was for a GM TBI but basic hookup is the same. Cut and paste the thread name into the search blank. It was a bad choice for the thread name.
"Help needed to change 4 piles into 1"

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Heavy Truck, if cool points are what you're after, then here is someone that's posting on this thread that can help you with that; even more than sequential EFI.

As I recall he's working on some aluminum 12 port goodness that would not only look cool, but should allow your 292 to give the V8 guys fits.

I just don't know how far along in the process he is (hope it's not a bad thing, me posting this).

Now, in all fairness, if you want coil on plug, and sequential injection, with 6 in a row, why not ditch the pushrods and go with a later model 4200?

DOHC, EFI, all aluminum, straight from the fiends at GM.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
lol. I know I may seem a little quirky to some, but the coil over SFI would be way cooler than a 4200 that anyone could put in a street rod. The aluminum custom head is probably beyond my budget, plus I'm not looking for that much power as just something different. I was at the Good-guys show this weekend, and it just seems like everyone wants maximum power. I want people to look under my hood and see what they're not expecting to see. But thanks for the ideas.

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
I want people to look under my hood and see what they're not expecting to see.

You mean an inline six? ;\)

Josh
72 gmc lwb air ride 5 speed (soon) turbo 292 II# 6102
Contributor
Contributor
Heavy,
I'm (slowly) working on the same type of conversion....do a search for a thread called 'How many injectors??? Why 6?' and there are a couple pics of my intake. Unfortunately, life has come in between me and my project and it has stalled.

".....don't give up a TURBO more than makes up for all of this BS." Turbo-6

E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
H
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
Lowboy, exactly. And just a few unexpected twists. The EFI would be over the top unusual

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
A couple of links to fuel injection systems for the in line 6:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=370527&highlight=Line
General discussion on fuel injection systems for the in line 6.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=313766&highlight=inline
See the posts by 'TP from Cntl PA', he installed a GM TBI from Howell.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=276823
See the posts by 'greg64', he installed a 6 injector TPI system, them removed it for a TBI system due to fuel distribution issues with the siamese intake ports. Another thread with a good collection of photos of modified in line 6's.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=276823&page=16
See the posts by 'K5 Addiction', he installed a F.A.S.T. fuel injection system.

Last edited by Winter; 07/21/13 11:53 AM.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available