Rate Thread
#76146 07/29/13 10:54 PM
K
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
K
Fellow Inliners,
does anyone have identification information on TH200-4R transmissions? I have one supposedly out of a T-type Buick Turbo Regal but have been unable to get a positive ID on the unit. I would like to use the box behind a mild (250hp) 292 GM six. I have a lock-up TCI Breakaway converter with 2500rpm stall.

they will go into my '66 Nova replacing a 350 SBC and TH350C. the car is a 4-dr that came with a 194 and PG. V-8's and close ratio transmissions go into 2-dr, SS Novas, but I want a stock appearing, quiet cruiser like mine was originally.
Thanks, kalklein

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M

12 port SDS EFI
K
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
K
MBHD,
Thanks for the info. where I'm really falling down is the decoding of the tags and stampings. (I need DaVinci.)

I copied all that mumbo-jumbo off of the trans and went to half-a-
dozen shops to see what they said. I got no conclusive answer. it makes a big difference because some of the TH200-4Rs already have revised valve bodies, bigger servos, and hardened internals. (the GNX Buicks were among the blessed, but try to find one.)

maybe I should just run it as is and worry about it when it breaks. what would you do?
kalklein

Contributor
Contributor
don't fix it if it ain't broke? but sometimes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and if a couple of hardened parts will keep me from destroying my tranny, I'm all ears!

I haven't yet learned how to link stuff here so I sent you a PM.

Joe

Contributor
Contributor
PM bounced. send good E-dress.

K
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
K
JL,
I'm using a "public computer" at the "assisted living" facility in which reside. I have my own computer but haven't yet picked an ISP which is part of a bigger decision. TV, Internet and Phone all get bundled together so one must be careful in selecting.
bear with me, kalklein

Contributor
Contributor
I'm going to see if I can 'paste' this little table into this reply in case you don't have it. But I'm not having any luck converting my other crap to something that will upload.

TH-200-R4 ID's:
ID Year(s) Application
KZF ** Olds 442/Hurst
CZF ** Monte SS
BRF ** GN/T-Type/Turbo Regals
OZ ** Hurst Olds
OM Olds 350 Diesels
OG Olds 307
BY V-6 252 Cars
AA and AP Cadillac's

K
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
K
JL,
thanks for the info; it fills some more blanks in my info banks.
I think that I'll just give my trans a thorough rinsing and leave it alone. if it breaks I'll find out what I need at that time. but if I'm out in a boneyard and find a TH200-4R with the correct letters I now have a better idea which ones are the keepers.
the TH200 has a better set of ratios than most 4-spd OD automatics. it's also smaller and lighter than the others. for engines 300cid or less it's hard to beat.

thanks again, kalklein

PS: my blown Mustang has the Ford "wide ratio gearset" kit which replaces the 2.40:1 first with a 2.85:1 first. though the RPM drop on the 1-2 shift is greater, the launch is much better. I still have the 2.73:1 rear end; 2000rpm at 80mph is relaxing.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 318 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available