Print Thread
Rate Thread
#76627 08/26/13 02:03 PM
S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Yesterday we hit the Billetproof drags. They had two rails there that were inline sixers one was 1235 and the other was a upright slant six. They have started a "class" all of there own. Too cool not to share. Man I want to build one bad.

http://home.comcast.net/~northwest.vintage.dragsters/site/https:/

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Repost the link, I can't bring it up.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
 Originally Posted By: jalopy45 #4899
Repost the link, I can't bring it up.

http://home.comcast.net/~northwest.vintage.dragsters/site/

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Why would they have a class all their own? Only ford Flatheads need that. Make it like SCTA and just protect the needy.
Finally a place for the Big Dodge?

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 08/26/13 09:20 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Not familiar with them. how do they do it???

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Beater: They're not a class by themselves. Both Bremerton in WA and Woodburn in OR (and I'm sure some others) have an Inline/Flathead class and the dragsters race with the other inline and flathead powered cars. I know, because I've lost to them quite frequently :).

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Cool, Those are always good races. I was referring to Dry Lakes and Bonneville where Ford/Merc V8 flatheads only compete against each other. All the other vintage engines fight it out.

Is the a size limit?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Weight is surely a factor in racing against other inlines and flatheads, and that might be a disadvantage for the big Dodge. If you configured that project as a rear engine dragster, then torque and traction might offset the weight and even use it to advantage. At the end of the track, you want four-wheel brakes!

Surely, in this kind of racing, "they ain' no substitute for cubic inches."

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I need to check out the rules. Tire limitations would be a factor partly because of weight. Could start here and then head to Bonneville and run just for time/speed.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I don't think I would want to put the big Dodge engine in a vintage front engine dragster unless the weight of it was comparable to vintage engines put in them. It looks like it weighs more than 2 big blocks by itself. It needs a billet head, that will lighten it up some. \:D
I've driven both front and rear engine dragsters before, I think if your going to be shooting at going over 150 MPH, the rear engine dragster will be safer and better handling. After driving a rear engine dragster, I wouldn't ever want to drive a front engine one again anyway, but thats just my opinion.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Are those any relation to the Hamb Gas Rail (aka HA/GR)?

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
I don't think I would want to put the big Dodge engine in a vintage front engine dragster unless the weight of it was comparable to vintage engines put in them. It looks like it weighs more than 2 big blocks by itself. It needs a billet head, that will lighten it up some. \:D
I've driven both front and rear engine dragsters before, I think if your going to be shooting at going over 150 MPH, the rear engine dragster will be safer and better handling. After driving a rear engine dragster, I wouldn't ever want to drive a front engine one again anyway, but thats just my opinion.

It would be rear engine. It needs an aluminum timing cover. The stock cast iron one probably weighs as much as one of my 153 blocks. It would be a lot more fun on the salt.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: Nexxussian
Are those any relation to the Hamb Gas Rail (aka HA/GR)?

Ryan is making changes on the HAMB and even mentioned changes to the HAMB Drags rules. I'd hate to have built a car just to fit there and then have him pull the drag strip out from under it. We'll have to see his changes and keep an eye on the Northwest guys.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Have you thought of seeing what class a dragster might fit into with the Inliner classes mentioned in the record section of the 12 Port News. The Inliner based races will be a safer bet than the HAMB style probably. There was a heated discussion on the HAMB a few weeks ago involving a certified NHRA tech inspector questioning the safety of the HAMB style HA/GR cars. He had actually rejected several of them at a few races because he felt that they were "unsafe at any speed". And fewer and fewer tracks are not allowing them to race because they don't meet basic minumum safety requirements for 2013, and probably not for 1960 either.
Bonneville would still be nice also to see it run though.

Here's a cheap one for sale HERE

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
N
Contributor
Contributor
N
Straight Axle see the posts by Casual 6 on here, Walt runs the Northwest group their rules are similar to the SDRA guys in Oaklahoma.They are a lil more open the the H.A.M. B.'s HA/GR rules.

Az Chapter Head
Club Merchandise Coordinator

34' Ford Cabriolet Ford 300 & C-4 under Construction
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
So you don't have to go to the link, here are the rules:

S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Walt is the guy I ran into at the drags last weekend and found out about this new "class" I have a fabbed t frame that I plan on using. I need to sell all my bent 8 stuff and buy a new sixer, as mine were scrapped when I was forced to move.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 325 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available