Rate Thread
#78339 12/15/13 07:56 PM
P
Pritch Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
P
I'm not much of a fabricator, but I need a temporary exhaust because A) I need to get this engine running and broke in and B) the closest exhaust shop is 50 miles away and I want my project all back together so I can drive it there when that time comes. So I came up with this:

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It Looks fine from this point of view. So why you taking to a exhaust shop??

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Forget the shop, run that and drive someplace more fun.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Contributor
Contributor
looks good enough to be a final system, I would just put some more time into making smooth radiused curves on the pipe coming from the front manifold, where they seem to make two 45 degree sharp turns. Not too hard to take two pre-made curved pieces and replace just that section. Did you manage to do slip joints and then weld? If it's butt-joints without internal overlapping, you may not want to grind the welds flat. You could slip a piece of smaller pipe inside the two, so you have more to weld on, get deeper penetrated welds and stronger structural support all out of sight. Then you can grind the welds flat. I understand this setup was not made/meant to be permanent, but it seems like it easily could be with just a little extra work, if any at all. Looks nice.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I've done what you did for years. The sharp ones could easily fixed with a U-bend and rewelding. I bought a lot of them from JCW. I like the merge collector but that twice-pipe sound will be missing. If you ever replace the headers with tubing use 2 of those.....

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I've done what you did for years. The sharp ones could easily fixed with a U-bend and rewelding. I bought a lot of them from JCW. I like the merge collector but that twice-pipe sound will be missing. If you ever replace the headers with tubing use 2 of those.....

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later
P
Pritch Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
P
Thanks, guys! Yeah, the only slip joints are at the 2 to 1 piece. Maybe I will see how this works before I do any thing else. It is mostly off-the-shelf parts, but I did have to get one piece bent to a 38 degree bend, the long piece on the outer pipe. It's 2.25 inch to the collector, then 2.5 inch.

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Got to be careful-- I done dumped a completed essay once already tonight!
I say that the "twice pipe" sound may still be there, because the two pipes have probably been separated long enough to preserve the "growl". Much like an pre-smog MGB four banger, with its two outlet exhaust manifold and twin pipes separated perhaps for some 2 feet. Take off one of its two inline mufflers so you can hear it, and you'll hear a downright nice sounding growl similar to our much loved Raaap. Old '70's era 510 Datsun four banger sedans had a two outlet exhaust manifold with twin pipes separated for only six inches or so, with a loud muffler, just a single exhaust '54 Chevy with a glasspack, sound (or a turbo Cummins with a loud muffler sound-blah!). Separate the Datsun pipes for a coupla more feet, and wait fer th' tickets!

Anybody heard an OHC Pontiac four barrel carb six--they had a very swoopy, double outlet cast iron exhaust manifold with its pipes separated for 12" to 18"--cant say as I never heard one with a performance(loud) muffler, so I cant pinpoint at what length this phenomenon occurs.

Point being, at some point the two pipes can be combined to be a single exhaust system and still have that "normal" (to us) "twice pipe" sound.

I
Contributor
Contributor
I
Very nice. This could be the final system. Ireally wish that I had the skills to do that with pipe. Jay

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Looks good. Looking at the frame, that must be a '67-'72 Chevy truck. What's the rest of it look like?

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Looks good. Looking at the frame, that must be a '67-'72 Chevy truck. What's the rest of it look like?

P
Pritch Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
P
It's a '68 Panel. The body is sitting on a rack waiting it's turn. It's in pretty good shape, just a little rust to fix in a few spots-all the normal places, but I do have to change the dash as it's rusted out along the bottom of the windshield. But I already have one to put in. I decided when I started this that I would get the chassis done first, then drivetrain and last, bodywork. With any luck, I'll be starting on bodywork by summer.

J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
Hi. I am about to be faced with a similar situation you have with the exhaust as soon as we can get the rebuilt 235 installed in place of my old 216.

I plan to go with duals, 1 down each side but the shop doing the engine shop does not do exhaust systems. I may have to haul it to the muffler shop which is also almost 50 miles away to get it done as I do not want to drive that far with just headers.

I recently ordered a few things from Patrick's Antique Car & Truck website & they offer a stainless muffler with 2 pipes in & 2 pipes out. When this is used you run both pipes down the same side of chassis & they come out side by side at the rear. I asked about this but they were currently on backorder with that muffler.
Jimmie

ol-nobull
Jimmie Price
1946 Chevy 5 passenger Sport Coupe

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available