Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Hi Guys, so I'm cleaning out my block and I noticed the oil filter pressure relief valve. I pushed it in with my finger a little and there was crud on my finger when I pulled back. I read that I can block this off, but this vehicle will be driven in very cold temps (below 0F). Should I block it off or get a new one? Does anyone have a part number for these?

Thanks,

Dan

Contributor
Contributor
you can block it off and then use a filter that has the same valve built in.

S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
70Nova, are you 100% sure that will be ok? I pulled the valve out because it wouldn't close correctly and I called my machinist about it. He said that he had gone to Hastings Mfg for training back in the day, and they had a lab setup where they did all of their filter testing and what not. They specifically said that only a percentage of the oil goes through the filter on a single pass, and that the rest goes directly through that valve into the oil galleries.

Does anyone know if the big block chevy valve will fit in the 250?

S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Ok guys, wanted to follow up in case anyone else ever needs this part. I found the part listed in a couple of places on the net. It was previously part # GM 5575614 and it was called a "oil filter by-pass valve".

It was superseded by a newer part, GM Parts 25013759 Oil Filter Bypass Valve.

This part can be found from Summit and Amazon.com, among others.

The original part number is even called out in the old book "How to Hotrod Big-Block Chevys" on page 121: "Either plug the hole as the professional racing engine builders do, or follow Chevrolet's published "safe" recommendation and install a six-cylinder oil-filter by-pass valve 5575416.".

The part cost me less than $8 dollars with 2 day shipping from Amazon.

Dan

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
All the V8 and inlines we built always had the bypass valve removed and plugged. Its just an accident waiting to happen if you use one. I've seen several engines get trashed by a stuck bypass valve that would have otherwise been fine if they had been plugged.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
I
Contributor
Contributor
I
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know what oil filter has the by-pass built in for those of us that are going to plug the factory by-pass in the block. Jay 6155

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available