Rate Thread
#81350 07/04/14 02:45 PM
X
Xerxes Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
X
Had fun this morning in the neighborhood July 4th parade. Also my first outing with my Willys pickup since I finished rebuilding the motor. Had fun talking about it with folks who were interested... "What's in it, a SBC 350?.." ah, no... Opening the hood... "Wow! That's cool!" Firemen from the two trucks there for the parade, several neighbors who did not know I even had it (it's been in the garage for the years I've been working on it). My Granddaughter was co-pilot...

Just had a fun morning with my toy. \:\)

Paul

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Paul,

I looked up your truck.......Wow, very nice... Are you running
other than stock drive train? Looks like you're running a 161
F head....I didn't know they were so equipped...It's a very cool
engine. I was wondering what trans and rear end you are running.
My 1950 1/2 is now running a 258..Good power, but the real improvement is the t5, 5-speed and the SILENT transfer case (Dana
300). Again, I really like your truck..

Melon

X
Xerxes Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
X
Melon:
Thanks for the comments. This "truck" was a bag of parts when I got it. It's actually a two wheel drive station wagon chassis with planar front suspension...Also the F-161 came with the wagon. One of the previous owners put the pickup cab on it with a wood box for a bed. I cut and extended the chassis about 10 inches (I think..it's been a long time) and then made the bed to fit. It's about 8 inches shorter than a normal Willys truck. It's got the three speed Borg Warner trans with the R10 overdrive. I've put a 12 volt solenoid and relay on it...At this time I have a Dana rear axle from an 80's Cherokee with 3.55 gears which currently renders the overdrive moot. It's also narrower than the stock pickup rear axle which I prefer. I'll be changing the gear to a 4:10 or there abouts pretty soon and am looking into fabbing disc brakes for the front. I just don't get a warm and fuzzy out of the old brakes.

Again, thanks for the comments:
Paul

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
We need more guys like you guys! I've been chasing a Jeep pickup here for a few years while trying to convince the owner that he would be welcome here. He is building a bad ass 4X4 50s truck with a flathead 6. I'm getting him closer to attending a meeting a meeting. Once that happens we've got him. \:o

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 307 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available