Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
56GMC Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
With some good advice from members, the engine now starts. But I have some additional questions. 1) what weight of oil should I use in a 58 vintage 235 motor.
2) what type of fuel, regular or premium, and do you need additives for unleaded fuel.
3)anything else I should be aware of.

C
Contributor
Contributor
C
1. single grade 30 classic oil without detergents or 20 if you drive in winter .

2. regular as long as you havent raised the compression, no additives needed.

3. you must get a oil filter if you use modern oil (get a Frantz toilet paper Filter if you want your oil staying clean but at least a regular bypass filter).

The "vintage" oil had no detergents so the slush stayed (mostly) on the bottom of the pan.

Modern oil for modern cars with filters has to transport the slush to the filter so it has detergents that keep the particles in suspension.

If you have no filter they go straight to your bearings.

Those cast iron wonders forgive a lot so you wont ruin it with the wrong oil (lots of guys here drive modern oil without filter) but for me it is always a peace of mind having the slush filtered out.

Don`t rev it to much if cold, drive moderate till ist is warm.

And here comes the most important one:

HAVE FUN!

Frank

To old to die young.
56GMC Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks for the advice. My engine has a filter canister hanging on the manifold. Is this the type that takes the toilet roll type of filter? Do you get this from Napa etc.

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
if it the stock filter it takes the same filter that was used on the v8 chevys. and yes you can get them from napa. i still use the old can and insert filters on my race motors. you can't blow them off or pinch a hole in them. use detergent oil at all times the non stuf is for squirt cans. a 10-40 milti weight would be ok too. been using that in the old john-deers and allis-chambers tractors. rember with the old oils rebuilds were common at 50,000-60,000 mi.

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear 56;

The orginal GM 'by-pass' filters should be removed & discarded as they only filter 1/6th of the oil. These are more of a fire hazard than an aid to engine life.

Single grade oil is best too, in this usage.

Multi grades are used/needed in systems with 'full flow' oiling under severe conditions.

The color of the oil (dark) will tell you when changing is needed.

Good luck, John M.....

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement