Print Thread
Rate Thread
#82302 09/03/14 11:22 AM
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
Hey I am new here I have a '55 Chevy 3100 235 use to be my dads but now I have inherited it. So the other day I started the truck up and it took about 3 min to start. After it started it didn't sound right, went inside to grab some stuff and to let it warm up. When I came back out it had died and there is still plenty of gas in the tank. Went to restart it with 1/2 choke and it started but when I pushed the choke in 3/4 it ran very high idle, when I pushed the choke all the way in it died. Thought it was running too rich adjusted the carb screw repeated the choke process and it still died.
I changed the fuel filter, checked the fuel line all the way back to the sending unit and nothing was plugged up. Upon further inspection fuel was not even making it to the fuel filter which is about 6" away from the fuel pump. So I don't know why the gas in not making it to the filter, pump and carb. There is a small leak on the carb. Would that release enough pressure to not suck up the fuel?
Sorry for the long first post I just can't figure it out, it has never done this before. Thanks for the help

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
As far as carb leak that's a non-issue.

Gas is not getting thru the lines, either weak fuel pump or plugged lines further back.

1st test I would do:
Working OUTSIDE (and with a fire bottle if a 1st timer tho its safe if youre careful:
* Disconnect the coil + wires so the engine cant start or generate coil spark.
* Take the fuel line off the carb, and run it down into a coffee can or something.
* Have a friend crank over the engine.
* The fuel pump should start filling the can with gas. There are specs for this in the shop manual but its a good squirt of gas every revolution of the engine.
* If it passes this test, the problem is in the carb. There is a fuel filter right at the carb inlet nut and it could be clogged or the float needle stuck shut.
* If it wont pass this, the fuel pump is bad OR the lines are plugged but you don't know which.

Next, reconnect the fuel pump to the carb.
* Then, disconnect the INLET side of the fuel pump, put a hose on it and run this down into a gas can.
* Make sure things are steady and not hitting anything.
* Reconnect the coil and start the truck. It should run and the fuel pump will pull gas right out of the gas can on the ground and send it to the carb.
* This is the way I break in engines on the stand, works just fine.
If it does not pass this test, fuel pump is likely bad. What they call "Gasoline" today eats old fuel pumps, they are guaranteed to fail at some point.
* If it passes this test and engine stays running, the problem is further back toward the tank. Most common is the "sock" filter on the sender inside the tank gets plugged. Or, could be a plug in the line just letting a trickle of gas thru but not enough to run it steady.

Good luck and be careful, gasoline is very safe if youre careful but unforgiving if youre not!

Last edited by DeuceCoupe; 09/03/14 03:58 PM.
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
Sweet I will try that tonight. I have checked out the lines back to the tank and they are not clogged and the "sock" on the sending until is clean. I have heard that bad stuff about the new fuel I run ethanol free to try and help it out. If it is the fuel pump is there a brand that you would recommend for a 235? Thanks I will be careful

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
OEM pump is best. RockAuto should have them. Also, remove the hose where it connect to the pump and remove it where it attaches to the tank. Use compressed air and gently pop a bit of air in there at short bursts. You may have debris clogging the line between the tank and the pump.

I would guess collapsed diaphragm in the pump, but thats me.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available