Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
Hzgray Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
I have a 1966 C10 shortbed truck currently running a 250 w/saginaw 3 speed and intend to install a 292 that I am rebuilding for moderate performance. Still in the parts accumulation phase for engine and trans but plan to use a T5 out of Camaro V8 (26 spline) with S10 tailhousing that I have acquired.

So now I need a suitable clutch. My concern is finding a clutch kit that will bolt up to my 292 flywheel assuming I use a 26 spline, 11 inch clutch with my original bellhousing. I am looking at ordering a clutch kit for a 71 Chevelle SS 400 SB (OEM spec). It is 26 spline 11 inch.

Unsure whether bolt patterns on Chevy pressure plates/flywheels associated with 11 inch clutches are standardized. Any idea if the above clutch kit will work with my 292 spec flywheel or other better ideas? Not looking for anything extravagant. I have used the search function and seen plenty conversion tips but may have missed this one. Thanks.

L
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
L
Originally Posted By: Hzgray
I have a 1966 C10 shortbed truck currently running a 250 w/saginaw 3 speed and intend to install a 292 that I am rebuilding for moderate performance. Still in the parts accumulation phase for engine and trans but plan to use a T5 out of Camaro V8 (26 spline) with S10 tailhousing that I have acquired.

So now I need a suitable clutch. My concern is finding a clutch kit that will bolt up to my 292 flywheel assuming I use a 26 spline, 11 inch clutch with my original bellhousing. I am looking at ordering a clutch kit for a 71 Chevelle SS 400 SB (OEM spec). It is 26 spline 11 inch.

Unsure whether bolt patterns on Chevy pressure plates/flywheels associated with 11 inch clutches are standardized. Any idea if the above clutch kit will work with my 292 spec flywheel or other better ideas? Not looking for anything extravagant. I have used the search function and seen plenty conversion tips but may have missed this one. Thanks.

Please review this page on my website . I just did what you want to do, but with a 250ci instead of a 292.

I used a 168 tooth flywheel and what I thought was an 11 inch pressure plate. Now you have me wondering.

This is the best advice I can give you - Call Richie at Brake & Clutch Supply in Waco, Texas. I sent him my clutch disc and pressure plate and they rebuilt them. Cost me a teeny bit more than buyimg new parts made overseas. Richie is "da man".

Clutch Shop in Texas

Brake and Clutch Supply
407 So. 8th Street
Waco, Tx 76706
Talk to Richie
PH: 254-752-4307
FAX: 254-752-7533

H
Hzgray Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
Thanks! I've been lurking on this website for quite awhile and there is a wealth of knowledge out there. Seems 292 is "one off" in many ways but know others like you have done this particular mod and hoping to avoid recreating the wheel.

L
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
L
If you went with a 10.4" clutch kit, the whole thing will be off the shelf from the local parts store.

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
Originally Posted By: Lugnutz
Originally Posted By: Hzgray

Please review this page on my website . I just did what you want to do, but with a 250ci instead of a 292.

I used a 168 tooth flywheel and what I thought was an 11 inch pressure plate. Now you have me wondering.

This is the best advice I can give you - Call Richie at Brake & Clutch Supply in Waco, Texas. I sent him my clutch disc and pressure plate and they rebuilt them. Cost me a teeny bit more than buyimg new parts made overseas. Richie is "da man".

Clutch Shop in Texas

Brake and Clutch Supply
407 So. 8th Street
Waco, Tx 76706
Talk to Richie
PH: 254-752-4307
FAX: 254-752-7533

Lugnutz,
I apologize for hijacking an old thread but had a question regarding the same type of build. I also have a 292 that will be mated to an S-10 NWC T5 but I was under the impression T5 had to be converted to the Jeep input shaft in order to eliminate the need for a spacer. However in your article the V8 camaro shaft isnt swapped out........I just remember reading wherer the V8 camaro is the same lenght so that explains it. Ok , nevermind on that part.

I do have a question as to whether the bearing that needs to be added to the Jeep shaft needs to be an S-10 bearing or a Jeep bearing....I assume they are the same but thought I should ask prior to purchasing. Are there any other components that need to be bought for this switch or is it just the shaft and bearing?

Thank you,
Eric

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
The bearing rides on the input collar of the trans so you should be using the S10 bearing. I used my original pressure plate and then replaced the disc depending on what size you are using 9" or 10.4" or 11". Get the disc from a 72 Corvette or an Astro van or the Jeep. Can't remember which one is which size right now as I did it about 10 tears ago

Ontario Inliners
1965 Chevelle
1940 Chev
1965 Chev Pick-up
1970 MGB Roadster

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 325 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available