Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Came across a NEW Goodwrench 292 and need a little help locating several parts. The 292 will be installed in a 66 chevy c10 with a th350.

What's the best setup and where do I get it?

widunn@winfirst.com
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Not enough Info?????????? What are yur plains for this??? what are you looking for to start with??

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Just after a basic street truck, obviously I need an intake, carb, and headers of some type. I read a little about lump ports on your T6 website, but not sure I understand. Can a person just bolt in lump ports or does it require the bosses be cut out? As for the the rest should I use an Offy or clifford intake with somekind of 4 barrel

widunn@winfirst.com
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The Bosses do need to be removed. The Offey is a good intake for Low to mid range power and tork. Where as the cliffords is more for Mid to upper rpm power & tork.
The Idea behind the Lump port is to Increase the air flow (CFMs).

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Intake manifolds question: How big a deal is the water heated manifold(Clifford) over the non heated manifold(Offy)?

How bout exhaust? whats the best way to go? Theres headers Clifford long and short, Hedman, Stovebolts cast iron ..........

widunn@winfirst.com
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
What could I expect a local machine shop to install lump ports in my head, or is this something I could do on my workbench.

widunn@winfirst.com
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
No not something to be done in the Home/backyard shop. Unless you have your own Mill. a water heated intake is always Better ( bottom Line)

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
buy leo santucci book FIRST

http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=leo+santucci+book&pid=4694681141821954494&oid=
5177011752445823827&btnG=Search+
Froogle&oi=froogler&lmode=&addr=
&scoring=p&hl=en

After you read, read, read it a couple of times, it will
answer many of your questions. then
you'll have more questions we can answer.
I'm installing a 292 clifford langdon
T5 HEI 12 bolt and more
Ps Bill I'm in Sac also

Gooday
Caroline & Jim
& Lucinda our 3104
51-3100 inliner @ 4655
small wheel moves by fire and rod,
big wheel moves by the grace of god,
every time that wheel turns round,
bound to cover just a little more ground.
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Jim of Carolines Truck, This great you're so close. I have Santucci's Book. I have several questions already. What vehicle is your 292 going in? Your're project sounds interesting. Do you have any pics. I'm putting a 292 in a 66 Chevy PU. I need some basic engine components and ideas for a basic truck. Can anyone give an opinion on which manifold to buy offy or clifford, distributor, headers or Langdons exh manifold?

My email address:

widunn@winfirst.com

Bill Dunn

widunn@winfirst.com
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
I read Leo's book and looked to this forum for some advice on some straight foward components on a daily driver, such a intake, exhaust, ign.... , but there seems to be no clear concensus of opinion.

widunn@winfirst.com
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Basic driver...

Offy 4bbl intake for low end torque

390 Holley, 500 AFB, or early Rochester 4GC

carb heat optional in CA

HEI ignition

Langdon's iron headers for long term durability and quiet performance and no leaks

camshaft with 268 or less gross duration

bowl porting of the head, don't worry about lumps for a basic streeter...

9 - 9 1/2 compression ratio tops...

I.I. #3174
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Thanks, That's pretty straight foward.

widunn@winfirst.com
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
I'll go along w/ both gearhead and what walt say is great advice !! I've mixed the two (a little of both) it all depends on what deals (swaps and ebay) come your way and what you want /are looking to do.
see (google up) stovebolt: http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
as w/ this site (& bolt) you can do a search (found at the top of every page) limit what words you search for and read, read, & read again.
oh yeah I'm doing this in a 51-3100

Gooday
Caroline & Jim
& Lucinda our 3104
51-3100 inliner @ 4655
small wheel moves by fire and rod,
big wheel moves by the grace of god,
every time that wheel turns round,
bound to cover just a little more ground.
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
As for the New Goodwrench 292 C-10 I think I'll use a Offy manifold(heated?), Holley Truck Avenger 4160-470 cfm, I have a Mallory Unilite, S-Bolt cast iron headers to a cross pipe to a single Duramax muffler out the back. The Fuel pump not sure? I'd like to have the Clifford intake and header stuff but they're, well difficult. I have 2-saginaw 3 speeds, 1-sm465 and 1-th350, not sure which to use. The rear end is original but looking into having it rebuilt with 373 if it is 411.

widunn@winfirst.com
'
Contributor
Contributor
'
Hi Bill,
My '68 C/10 came from the factory with an L6 292, SM465, 3.73 12-bolt rear, and 7.00x17.5 tires.
I'm on my 3rd engine [first rebuild of original mill] I run a .030 bore, 260H Crane cam, Rhoads lifters, Offy intake, Edelbrock 500 CFM [AFB-clone]* and Clifford headers. I don't need carb heat in Tucson. Points ignition w/ Mallory Voltmaster coil (but have hi-end Pertronix on the shelf for later). Centerforce II clutch. Dual exhaust with crossover, turbo mufflers exiting behind rear tires. Tires are now Dunlop 235/85/R16LTs and I upgraded the rear end to an Eaton posi.
It's a street/work truck. You don't have to copy my set up, but may find the information useful.

* I used to have a Holley 390, but after 25 years -- I'm thru with Holleys!

[I didn't know you could still get a 292 crate motor?]

I/I #4101
'71 GMC Jimmy 350, sm465, np205,3.73 posi.
'68 C/10 Stepside 292 (.030 over) Offy Intake, 500 CFM AFB,Clif headers, sm465, 3.73 posi.
'67 K/10 454 project.
'72 K/5 rolling frame project.
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
68orange, That sounds like a cool setup what are your rpm at freeway speeds. the taller wheels has gotta help. How much did you speed on your rearend?

widunn@winfirst.com
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
68orange / I heard someone else say use the Edelbrock 500 CFM, how is yours performing? Summit shows that carb has EDL-1404 225.00 is that correct. If thats the case what a bargin.
I have an older hei distributor off a 250 but needs attention, can you rebuild those things?

widunn@winfirst.com
'
Contributor
Contributor
'
Bill:
The rear-end rebuild on the pickup was done in '85. I pulled a junkyard 3.73 w/Eaton posi 12-bolt off a '69 GMC stepside. It was short a driver's side 6 lug axle. I had to get a new one from the dealer, that ran about $85, I think I spent about 8 or 900 back then, with labor at Simmons garage in Tucson. The junkyard got my core open 12-bolt. I had another 12-bolt rebuilt for my '67 K/10 Suburban in '95. I spent about a grand including rebuild [seal, shims, etc] kit, new Moser axles, and new Auburn posi.
In the '68 C/10 pickup, I'm turning about 3000 RPMs @ 70 MPH.
Yes, one reason I chose the Edelbrock was the lower price than a Holley. $225 is about what I paid to Jeg's (or was it Summit?). [If Carter still made the AFBs it would be even cheaper -- but hey?] Another reason is I've had good luck in working on the AFB types myself, I don't have to find a Holley wizard to cast out its demons. I did need a good Carter /Edelbrock expert to help me set up my 1404. We changed out several sets of metering rods and different springs, until we got it running smooth and strong. Right now performance is good, although I'm getting 12.4 MPG. That may be as much silk as you can sew onto an old pig's ear.
I have an HEI on my V8 350 in the '71 Jimmy. It's not hard to find fresh replacement [and HiPo] components for the GM system. I think some things are common to HEI in V8s and L6s. Modules, coils, counterweights, springs-- I know I replaced the module and grommet several times until I found out it was really a fuel pump gripe, but that's another truck. You might have a local shop check out your HEI distributer and adjust the advance curve to your specific application. In Tucson, there is a shop, Automotive Recalibration, that specializes in that.
The fresh 292 is more fun to drive than a 6 year old crate V8.

I/I #4101
'71 GMC Jimmy 350, sm465, np205,3.73 posi.
'68 C/10 Stepside 292 (.030 over) Offy Intake, 500 CFM AFB,Clif headers, sm465, 3.73 posi.
'67 K/10 454 project.
'72 K/5 rolling frame project.
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Bill, Sounds like you are off to a good start with your project.I've been reading Leo's book AND gleaning much advice from the guys on the BB.
I'm no expert,but this much I've learned: Don't have high expectations of building something beyond your capabilities.Set reasonable,achieveable goals.This varies from one person to the next,depending on finances,time to invest in your project,what work you will pay someone to do vs. what you can do yourself,etc.
Walt has made the point of suggesting to us gearheads to not try to do everything all at once.For me,this means just get my truck running for now.Eventually there will be an engine rebuild at some future time.But in the meantime I will be fine tuning my ideas as to what I want to do to the engine internally.For the past couple of months I've been buying parts,a little here,a little there,so that when the weather warms up some,I'll be ready to attain the goal I've set for myself....have the truck running and hopefully back on the road by the end of next summer. ;\) If time allows,I may do some sheetmetal work on the cab...but only after the motor fires and a brake job is done.BTW...I chose to go with the Offy intake,4bbl Edelbrock 500cfm,and long tube headers.Keeping the trusty ol' points-n-condenser distributor for now,but may upgrade to HEI later.AND,if everything works out will be doing a tranny swap too.
I think you'll be pleased with the 292.Both my 2 dr. Novas had the 194 and 230,and the '75 4 dr. had a 250 in it.They were all fine for that size car,but would be just a tad underpowered for a long bed P/U. So...glad you've got the bug to work on your truck,hope this helps.Keep us posted on how things come along.Happy New Year!
God Bless you,

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
292 4 spd. OD Offy intake Edelbrock 500cfm long tube headers 4:56 rears
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
border_line, You sound like me telling the guys at work, I dont have to use a $5,ooo crate motor and 700r4, disc brake all the away around and a fancy paint job for the truck to be fun. As a matter of fact the would be nerve racking. I want it to be fun, acheivable, and useable.

Ditto's to Border-Line

Bill / Out

widunn@winfirst.com
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Has a matter of fact,

IT WILL NEVER BE FINISHED EITHER !!

widunn@winfirst.com
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
Don't get me wrong here, I love inlines. That's why I'm here,

but,

you talk of 5000 dollar crate engines....

You can buy a brand new 4 bolt main 350 crate engine at any GM dealership for 1200 to 1300 dollars By the time you buy the neat hot rod stuff for an inline engine, you will exceed what the equivalent parts would cost for a small block V8.

I think if you'll crunch the numbers, you'll find 6 cylinder performance to be much more expensive per horsepower than a crate V8 engine.

That said, I own three trucks with inline engines right now. I love them, they are worth the extra expense to me.

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Walt, I would agree,V8's are OK,our family vehicle,the one we load the kids in to take a vacation is a 2002 Suburban with the 5.3 Liter,so I have nothing against them,but....I think one of the main attractions to the inline sixes for a lot of us is (at least partly) in preserving a long forgotten breed of detroit iron.
Tx Firefighter,you raise a good point also,that our inlines may be more expensive to build,vs. dropping in a crate V8...but like you said ,you like them (inlines) so that's why we keep 'em. I was toying with the idea a few years ago,of tossing the 292 in my truck for a new 350 crate motor (I know....shame on ME \:\( )but finally came to my senses and remembered why I bought this truck in the first place...reliability, ease of maintaining,good low end power,and uniqueness.
BTW: Didn't mean to put anyone down that runs a 250 in their truck (in my earlier post),it's just that for my driving habits the big six is a better choice for a long bed,if I had a short bed,I wouldn't mind the 250...it's still a good motor.

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
292 4 spd. OD Offy intake Edelbrock 500cfm long tube headers 4:56 rears

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 161 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available