Rate Thread
#100268 07/12/22 04:39 AM
R
radar Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
R
It has been a while since my last input.

I am the proud owner of a 1940 Chevy Special Deluxe Coupe since 1990. I love working on it but lately it is wearing me out. Unfortunately 8 plus years fighting Parkinson's disease is taking its toll. Any help would be appreciated with my electrial problems.

I had to replace the starter and the ignition switch because the car would not start reliably. The car has a GMC 302 engine and a HEI ditributor and a 95 amp. alternator. Under the dash board is a rat's nest of wires for the radio, air conditioning, directional lights and windshild wipers along with the pimary electrical wiring for the key switch and an electric fuel pump.

The problem is the starter works long enough for the engine to fire up momenteraly but then dies. People have said it's a lack of fuel, but the tank is full and the pump puts out a good stream when I tested it. I pulled off a spark plug wire and inserted a nail to see if it was firing properly. It fired maybe 8 to 10 times and then stopped matching the engine performance. It appers that the problem is in the HEI distributer or in the wireing feeding power to it.

What do you think?

Thanks, Frank Hainey (RADAR)

FranK Hainey
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Frank, Sorry to hear about your health issues.
What kind of HEI do you have? I have had both a Mallory and PerTronix on my 270. They both left me on the side of the road and I threw them away. When they work they are great when they don't they can do crazy things. I went back to points. A bit more maintenance but easy roadside fixes.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It is either Coil?, the pickup, or the module these are the only things in a HEI. I would lay odds on the Module or the pickup. The dist. will need to be pulled to and taken apart to replace the pickup.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
Does it quit when you release the key? Could you have picked the wrong terminal on the switch? I don't have electronic ignition, but is it set up as a point set up would be?

Will Willis

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available