Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
I wonder if I have the vacuum line hooked up wrong.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It is pretty easy to tell.
Pull vacuum line off of the distributor while running. If it has suction at idle, then it is LIVE. If it is live, you may also notice a change in the idle at that time,

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
So when I pulled the hose from the distributor while the car was running absolutely nothing happened. It continued to idle okay and it didn't seem like there was any suction on the hose.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I would suggest finding a live vacuum port and get it hooked to the dist.

Inliner Member 1716

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
I will try that first thing in the morning. Thanks for the tip.

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
So apparently my vacuum was live and working fine. I had my buddy set the timing back to about 6 and he set the carb a bit more richer and that motor still heats up pretty quick. We still don't see any water movement on top of the radiator while it's running either.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Try drilling a very small hole in the thermostat. In the outer ring. This will let it burp. Then hot water can travel around the T stat easier.

Inliner Member 1716

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
It's crazy, but I have already done that. I also cut the top portion of the thermostat that goes from one point to the other. Something this old timer suggested I do. And yet this isn't doing it either. I'm tempted to buy a new carb as well as a new radiator cap. Two things I haven't changed yet. And I know it's almost impossible to be the carb but at this point I'm lost.
As far as the cap, I believe I'm running a 7lb but this motor recommends a 16lb.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I believe you had the head pressure tested but did you check the flow? This head has been on both blocks. Is it possible something is blocking the water jackets in the head?

You should see water flowing at some point in the warming process. Start it with the cap off and see at what point hot stuff come out of the radiator.

Does water flow through the radiator? Put the cap on disconnect both hoses and see if it runs out the bottom hose as fast as you can put it in the top.

With both hoses disconnected from the radiator and the thermostat removed put water in the top hose and see if it comes out the botton as fast as you are putting it in the top.

Get new radiator cap. Hang it in the garage. Drive a new car under it. mad laugh

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
So I don't know if you remember reading earlier but my motor is new, and so it's my radiator. I have flushed the heater core already twice. I haven't done the radiator because like said I just bought it so I'm assuming it's good. I also bought a new radiator cap yesterday and that also didn't do it.
I never see any water movement on top of the radiator while it's idling. Even when it gets to temperature. I do see bubbles when I try to burp the radiator but eventually they go away and the flow just stops.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Is it the same head or did you get a new head with the new engine? If it is the same head that is about the only part that has been there through the whole mess.A clogged water jacket?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
This is a long block that I got. By the way I believe I might have found the issue. I removed the thermostat all together and it ran for about 20 minutes just in the garage idling. It never got any hotter than 178 to 180. So do I assume I had 2 bad thermostats? I may just run it without one.
The car has no heater and I never drive it in the winter. In fact I think I drive it about 15 times a year lol.
I hope this was it!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Glad you have found the problem. I would never run a street car without a thermostat. There are many reason to have one.
Engine will get warm enough to get rid of condensation
Engine parts are designed with thermal expansion at certain temps

Inliner Member 1716

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
Agree with you, I rather have one. But this isn't a street car. I only drive it in the summer and just a few times. Maybe once the good weather goes away I'll look into putting one back on. I still wonder why 2 thermostats would be bad or is something else.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
You can always test them be for you install them. I normally do Just put them in a pot of water as the water becomes hot enough you will see them open then just take them out lay them aside and watch them close as they cool then you know they are working. You can keep a eye on the temp with a infrared thermometer.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
I have done those tests on thermostats plenty of times. It works pretty good. My intention right now is to drive it without one and see how it goes. I did borrowed a thermometer to check the temp. If everything seems fine, I will continue to drive it and eventually try a different thermostat.

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERY MEMBER WHO HAS TAKING THE TIME THESE PAST COUPLE OF WEEKS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS WITH MY MOTOR.

1 member likes this: stock49
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If you can run without a thermostat, you have flow issues.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
Why is that?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
lack of proper flow.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If it does not work with the right thermostat then there is a problem. If it sorta works with no thermostat there is a problem. It may work good enough for your needs but.........

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
I drove it today for about an hour. I had it at 55 mph at one point. Never got above 140 or 150. Drove great. When I got home I pulled her in the garage and checked everything with a thermometer and the only thing that was damn hot was the exhaust manifold. Everything else seemed warm but not overly hot.

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
I should have know that it was too good to be true. It drove great for over an hour 2 days ago. And tonight the temp started going up again to about 200. And that's without the thermostat. I just don't know where else to look.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If it was me I would be pissed enough to take it to a lonely spot, pour a couple of gallons of gas in & on it, toss a match and walk away. But I'm too bullheaded for the easy way out so I'd get three pieces of paper and put a heading on each one. #1 Cooling System, #2 Ignition/Timing, #3 Fuel Delivery. On each sheet I'd list EVERY component/aspect of that system that could effect the temperature. I would put a check mark by each component that has been changed since the very beginning and a X by every component that has not been changed. I would lay them in front of me and ask,"WHAT THE $%#@? Study them, compare and make notes. Have all of my information & experience right in front of me in one spot. Form new questions note other peoples ideas scratch out what did not work.

At this point I don't think it is in the cooling system. Though there is a ton of interchangeable parts in this engine series not all similar parts are the same. I am thinking about timing gear covers & timing marks on crank pulleys/dampeners. Could there be a miss match here? Just a question. I would turn the engine to TDC according to the timing mark and check the best I could by watching the rockers. If not sure I'd pull the head and make sure the timing mark is right. A little bore camera might help here. If not I'd make a correct mark on the pulley. I'm an old guy, I'd find a points distributer and make sure the points were opening at the right time. I would time it the old fashioned way with the advance disconnected and turning the distributer back & forth till you find the sweet spot. No lights, no gauges, no electronics. Maybe not perfect but close enough to run well & not over heat.

On the fuel side once I was sure the timing was OK I'd start reading the spark plugs. I'd find a lonely stretch of highway where I could make some runs and pull over and pull a plug and check its color. I might set it slightly rich to remove any doubt of over heating due to being lean.All of this can be cleaned up and set or be put back once the problem is found.

If none of this helped I'd find the guy I got the car from a kick his ass.

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 07/29/23 04:58 PM.

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
Beater of the Pack, thanks for the good laugh. At this point I need it and I don't have any hair to pull lol. All good advice. Thank you.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I can't think of anything you haven't covered. When you figure it out it is going to be something basic. Not simple to we would have found it but basic. Have you changed the water pump? There is a difference in 292 water pumps and the others I think. Slipping belt or pulley? It has me beat.

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
I actually have 3 water pumps. All 3 look the same and feel the same as far as the way they turn. So I don't think is that.
I did check my pulley, belt, fan, etc. No slipping that I can tell. I'm hoping to talk to S&J engines tomorrow where I bought the motor.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
This is a mystery. I wish I could help. Does it actually boil over? Does it spit out of the overflow?

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
It does not boil over or even steam. Since I removed the thermostat it has only got up warmer once, around 200 which to me it seems high since the last few times it only got as high as 130-140. I need to take her out tomorrow again and see what it does.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Did it boil over when the gauge showed 130-140? Has it ever popped the radiator cap spit from the overflow tube? If not I'd focus one the temp sender & gauge.

At 140 that thing should look like Old Faithful!

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 07/31/23 05:39 PM.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
130,140 is still pretty much a cold engine 180-190 is normal. for these older engines. the new stuff runs 200-220 easy.(as normal temp)

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
It has never boiled over through the overflow and the radiator cap never popped. However, I have changed the gauge as well just to ruled it out. I even moved the cable so it was not close to the manifold.

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
So my new carburetor arrived. I don't see how to hook up the choke. My current carburetor has one just like this one.
The new carburetor does not have the linkage to attact to the joke spring.
What am I missing? When I search for these on the web it calls as a 1931 elderbrock joke. My intake came like that.
https://quickshare.samsungcloud.com/xndMAg9yGPJm

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
My current intake with the joke on the intake manifold.
https://quickshare.samsungcloud.com/qCBg8ddzeBKd

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
My current carb does also have an electric joke. You can see the red wire hooked up to it.

https://quickshare.samsungcloud.com/lgKFHNVXxGB7

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Yeah, I was seeing 230-240. blush It has never boiled over? Why do you think it is over heating? I am going to have to go back to the beginning of this.

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
Well with the 180 thermostat it should be opening at around that or so. It was getting between 200 and 220. Not boiling over. Without the thermostat, I got it down to about 130 to 140. But just in the last day or so, it got back to 200 which I thought it wouldn't because the thermostat is missing.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Without a thermostat the pump will always keep the coolant circulating. Depending on the volume of coolant the engine may never warm up or it may overheat quickly. The job of the thermostat is to control the flow so the proper volume if coolant spends enough time in the radiator core and cool enough to maintain the engine temp at or near the thermostat rating. In some of my old Ford flatheads I removed the thermostats in the summer and it only overheated when stalled in traffic. I put them back in the winter because it would not get up to a warm enough temp to run well or work the heater. This worked for me but it was not right. If This was mine I just drive it until boiling over became an issue. I would note what temp the gauge shows in different situations and learn how it works. On my '53 Chevy pickup the gauge shows a little less than 180 when normal above 185 it is boiling. It has been this way for 20 years. It rarely boils.

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
Yeah you're right, I'm just going to continue driving it and keep an eye out on the temperature. I don't believe it will boil over but I will keep a close eye just in case. I should be also installing the new carburetor soon. Hopefully that will help with the way t runs as well.
Thanks Beater of the Pack!

B
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
B
So here's a quick update. I received the new carburetor and we finally finished tunning it last night just in time for tomorrow. I am hosting a car show at work tomorrow and I'll be taking her there. So far the temp is doing good and the carburetor made a huge difference as far as the way its running. I can't say that it helped with the heating issue but I can at least drive it. I will post a few pics of the show.
Thank you again to everyone that helped.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 322 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available