Print Thread
Rate Thread
#10532 03/16/06 09:34 AM
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Hello all, first I would like to say great site with lots of info. I have been lurking for a few weeks now. I have been unable to find what I am looking for so I figured I should just ask.

What is the head bolt torq sequence and max torq for the chevy 292?

I received this engine free. It had just been rebuilt but never ran. Sat for 17 years covered up. Took the head off and the inside looked brand new. Took the head in and had the surface rust buffed off the valves and now that looks new. Trying to locate all the brackets and pulleys now. Going to run an offy intake holley 390 cfm 4 bbl with stock exhaust manifold. This is going into a 1 1/4 ton military truck, M715. Any help would be great. Thanks

#10533 03/16/06 01:34 PM
O
Contributor
Contributor
O
Welcome porkchop, according to this GM manual, 1.first clean mating surfaces of block & head & if necessary clean all threads on head bolts & threaded holes in block. 2. Place the cylinder head gasket over the dowel pins with the rolled edges on the gasket upward. Do not use gasket sealer on composition steel-asbestos gaskets which are standard service gaskets. 3. Set cylinder head in place on dowel pins in contact with gasket. 4. Apply sealing compound on the cylinder head bolt threads and start bolts with fingers. 5. Use a torque wrench to tighten head bolts a little at a time, following sequence until correct torque is reached; 95 ft. lbs. Looking at head from the side, start from the center pair of holes and work outward in an ever enlarging spiral pattern towards the ends.

Jerry....I.I.# 3540
'27 T Nostalgia roadster
#10534 03/16/06 01:54 PM
P
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
P
Thanks! That's the info I was looking for. Why not use gasket sealer? I have always done so and never had a problem before.

#10535 03/16/06 06:05 PM
O
Contributor
Contributor
O
Porkchop, Your welcome. Not sure, The info came from 1980 manual, gasket material may have changed. Maybe Someone here can give us an update? Also could check with gasket manufacturer Fel-pro etc. for their recommendations for their product.

Jerry....I.I.# 3540
'27 T Nostalgia roadster

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 458 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available