Print Thread
Rate Thread
#11005 05/03/06 01:27 AM
A
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
A
i have a 1976 chevy nova with a 250 and a 1bbl rochester, original equipment. I was looking for the idle speed control because it was idleing way too slow. I acidentaly adjusted the idle needle (thats what the diagram says it is. [yeah I know, i should have looked at a diagram first]). anyway, i dropped the idle needle and spring and its nowhere to be found. obviously she wont run. i need a source for an idle needle and spring ASAP. I have 2 go 2 work towmarrow at 7pm and she MUST BE RUNNING by then. Even If i can "jimmy rig" it that is fine, I just need to get her running the way she should by towmarrow. I'd really appriciate a timly response. Thanks in advance.

1976 Chevrolet Nova Hatchback, "Old Blue", with 250 inline six.
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Are you talking about the mixture scres near the base that you can thread in and out? With your urgency, I would try one out of any Rochester carb, even a 2 bbl or 4 bbl if you or a friend has one around. Or if you have an ignition specialty shop in your area they might have an older carb laying around that you can scavenge it out. I have some earlier single barrel carbs that ou can have for the cost of shipping but that won't help you tonite.

Ontario Inliners
1965 Chevelle
1940 Chev
1965 Chev Pick-up
1970 MGB Roadster

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Most auto parts stores have traded in carbs.Beg the part(s) off one of them.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Good advice Drew. Also any full scale repair shop too.

Otherwise; it may have NOT "hit the ground". L@@k in the frame channes(s) & on the crossmembers using a mirror.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
A
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
A
Thanks guys,

I havent had the time to respond since i have such a busy scheudle.

Just incase anybody is interested in how i got my nova running heres how I did it. (I think its an entertaining story, so even if your not interested, its a fun read.)

Well thursday morning I got up around 5am. I checked the inliners forum for replys to my post. as soon as I was fully awake, I started to work on the Nova. I couldnt find anything in my hardware rack that would fit in the idle mixture thread. I asked a few car buddys what they would do, one said to get 2 or 3 twisty ties (the wire and plastic things they put on plastic bread bags). and twist them together as tight as possible and stick it in the thead. I tried that and she ran fine until i put her in drive, the engine would violently shake and then quit.

by this point It was noon. I noticed a neibor had an international harvester wagaon. hes on vactaion, i thought maybe hes got a rochester 1barrel on it. it was worth a look. so I popped his hood and looked. By golly there was a 1bbl carb. i called his cell and asked him if I could, borrow his idle mix screw. he was in stitches laughing. once he got his wits about him. he said, he has a spare carb in the garage. and I could have the idle screw. i was very happy. I thanked him and took off the idle screw. put it on my carb and tuned her up real nice. me and ol' blue lived happily ever after.

The end.

thanks again guys.

1976 Chevrolet Nova Hatchback, "Old Blue", with 250 inline six.
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Good story,nice neighbor.Glad it worked out.Of course now you owe him. :p Cut his grass maybe? \:\)

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 325 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available