Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Matty G Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
M
I just recently bought, well 8 months ago, a 1954 chevy 210. It is basically all original except for the paint and interior. I was wondering what I might be able to do to get more horsepower out of the engine. This is my first car that I have actually done some mechanic work on it. So I am learning...ever so slowly. Would it be that hard (well costly) to try to get 200-250 horsepower out of it. And since I don't have alot of disposible money to play around with, is there anything less expensive I could do?

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Matty;

To get 250Hp out of that 'style' engine requires major modifications etc.

As a novice, you could do this.

Buy a used head & have it reworked. Install it with a 2 carb manifold, headers and a 12V upgrade as well.

All of that will give you about 150Hp for around a $1,000+/-.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
Contributor
Contributor
Link to 1955 HRM article on the chevy six

This link describes Frank McGurk's work on a 261. Most of the information also applies to a 1954 235. All other things being the same, a 235 will put out about 10 percent less torque or power than a 261.

Hoyt, II #922

Hoyt, Inliner #922
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Mr Hoyt is correct. However the 261 can be built to 278/292 CID where the 235 can not.

As a beginner stick with the cylinder head R&R for now.

By the time you 'chase down' all the parts, pay for them and get it ready; You'll have done more than most "in your shoes".

This is the "cheapest & fastst" to get the most for the least.

While you are doing all of this, you can drive your car as well.

"Hit it Tiger" \:D

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Hoyt,
Thanks for the article link you posted, that is an EXCELLENT article on a 261 buildup step-by-step. I am "matching" it with my computer engine program, kinda guessing at the .050 lift cam durations.

For so many years ago, the article did just the right process step-by-step, great article.

It looked like the triple-1v worked a lot better than the dual-1v, or is that intake just harder to find?

T
Newcomer
Newcomer
T
Forgive me for the intrusion... but where the heck would one find a dual or triple mainifold for one of these engines? I might be acquiring a truck shortly, and a dual carb intake manifold would be a neat thing to add to boost the "gee-whizz" factor a bit.

And I quote from the article: "The price of the (3 carb) manifold is $43 and includes the necessary throttle linkage."

How times have changed... :rolleyes:

Thanks!! :p

H
Contributor
Contributor
H
If your budget is tight stick to the 235, search the parts for sale ads for a four barrel intake. THe four barrel along with a split manifold or tube headers alone will make that motor come alive. Also you could get a more road worthy set of rear end gears and possibly a saginaw 4 speed. Down the road as the budget allows, you can search for a deal on the 261 or step up to a 292ci. Best move now is to JOIN Inliners Int. for the best bunch of car people around and tons of expert advise.

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)
D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
hey gearhead,,,,you can get them on e bay all the time..just type 235 chevy in the search box.. gonna pay around $300 now days.

J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
Langdon Stovebolt sells them new at $235.00 . Cheers!!!

1946 Chev Aerosedan
Most southernest inliner in Canada

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 283 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available