Print Thread
Rate Thread
#11351 06/27/06 09:18 PM
P
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
P
What inline 8's have the most readily available parts compared with how they perform? I think i want to build a straight 8 for a hot rod project, or maybe even just restore a car that has a straight 8 if the rest of the original car it was in is still in good shape. Anyone with info about these and/or leads to where one is for sale would be much appreciated... Thanks!

Jesse

#11352 06/28/06 01:01 PM
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Buicks seem to be a popular choice....

Inliner #1916
#11353 06/28/06 03:21 PM
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Olds built inline eights through 1948; Chrysler through 1950; Buick through 1953; Packard and Pontiac through 1954. All but the Buicks are flatheads; all have a relatively small bore and long stroke. Several Inliners have built and raced Buicks; a supercharged Chrysler has run at Bonneville in the recent past. i have seen in one of Don Montgomery's books pictures of a lakes modified from the 1930s powered by an Olds inline eight.

These engines make plenty of torque at low rpm. If you're not in a hurry, you can leave it in high gear and move out smoothly and deliberately. If you want to modify an inline eight to make power, then count the number of main bearings--more will be better. The issues of torsional vibration encountered by inline sixes will be multiplied in eights.

In the early 1940s Buick made dual intake manifolds for the 320 cid eight, and there are probably more vintage "hot rod" parts available for the Buick than for all the others combined. For most of these engines, one must make one's own "speed equipment," just as one had to do in 1930s and 1940s.

One thing for sure: you won't see another one under every hood at a show. i am among those who are always glad to see a well-made modified inline, from the the fours to the eights.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

#11354 06/28/06 06:55 PM
P
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
P
Thanks don, that was some very helpful info. Thats kinda what i want to go for, an engine where i actualy have to use some of my own enginuity and creativity to make it perform better. Any ballpark figures on realistically attainable power numbers from the buick 8's?

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 445 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available