Rate Thread
#1270 09/30/03 12:34 PM
H
Hud I Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
I built a new engine this past winter and have run it 6 times on the pull track and I am having problems with oil pressure. It started out with about 60 pounds of pressure and has been going down ever since. I am running the volume oil pump and the by-pass plug. The other day it blew out the rear main seal. Would like to know if anyone else has had oil pressure problems with their 292's. Any feedback would be appreciated.

#1271 10/01/03 02:24 PM
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
The only issues other than pumps I have seen on 292s was spinning bearings, especially cam bearings.

Inliner #1916
#1272 10/02/03 12:19 AM
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
I've seen a lot of L6's that run on low pressure, but never a high pressure issue. Do you really think you need 60 psi? I've got a high volume pump in my truck motor now, and it's always pushed 45 psi at speed with 30 idling cold, 15 idling hot. Of course I don't have the bypass plugged on a street motor, so I have no idea what pressure it would make plugged. But then again, I can't think of a reason why your rear seal would start leaking either. You didn't blow out the rear cam plug?

David
newbie #4153
#1273 10/03/03 01:02 PM
H
Hud I Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
Bruce-Thanks for the info. on spinning cam bearings. I had not run across that bit of info. in doing my research on the engine. That will be one thing to really look for.
Six- I am not really concerned about what the pressure is-it's that I have a declining oil pressure. If it would hold what ever lbs. it started out with, I would not be concerned. With the pressure declining, I have become concerned.
For now I have parked it and will go into it this winter. I know disassembly will tell the tale. I was wanting to know what to look for besides the obvious things.
Thanks again guys.

#1274 10/04/03 04:32 AM
E
Contributor
Contributor
E
I had a SB Chevy that had a sticking bypass vavle when the engine was cold.It would unstick when the engine warmed up.I would have to let it idle when cold.If i revved it up when cold,the spin on filter would explode.
I would not plug a bypass vavle.
EvilDr235

------------------
Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
Remember EvilDr235 has a cure for Your sixness.

#1275 10/04/03 03:58 PM
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
 Quote:
Originally posted by Hud I:
I built a new engine this past winter and have run it 6 times on the pull track and I am having problems with oil pressure. It started out with about 60 pounds of pressure and has been going down ever since. I am running the volume oil pump and the by-pass plug.

Why run with the bypass plugged?
Is this some form of race engine?
What RPM range do you want to use?
What pressure do you want to see based on bearing clearances?
In truth it's not the pressure that's important, it the volume of flow that keeps an engine alive. The pressure is a measure of resistance to flow through the engine. What ever you can do to reduce resistance and encrease flow you will make more* HP and reduce strain on the drive train to the oil pump.
*Actual use less HP pumping the oil.

The other day it blew out the rear main seal.

You may have lost the rear main bearing. It is possible to run too much pressure. When I started building engines I got a copy of "Basic Lubrication Practice" by Allen Brewer, and old but still applicable guide to lubrication systems. In this age of gee whiz products it still goes back to getting the basics right.

Would like to know if anyone else has had oil pressure problems with their 292's. Any feedback would be appreciated.

#1276 10/05/03 11:38 PM
H
Hud I Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
Thanks for the feedback.
Goldstar-I'll answer your questions. I pretty much followed the (Power Manual) in building the engine. It was recommended to block off the bypass system of the oil circuit and run the high volume oil pump. I am running a Clifford cam and they also recommend the high volume pump. The rpm range is between the 6 and 7 thou. range. The engine would achieve and hold the 6000 range with no problems. I forgot to mention that the engine is in a pull tractor. Weight class was in the 4000lb. class. I run a synthetic blend 20/50 oil. I am not concerned what the pressure is as long it is a constant pressure. It was the decline in pressure and then the oil leak, that I have become concerned over.
Would the pressure wear out the rear main bearing? When I tear it down should I expect all of the mains to be worn? The pressure goes to the cam first and then to the mains, should I also expect to find those bearings worn? Thanks for the feedback.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 563 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available